Getting my wedding video website started... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:13 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Getting my wedding video website started...

Hey Ben,

I might as well chime in too as someone who filmed his first wedding 20 years ago (which was a complete disaster btw, and caused me to not shoot another one seriously until NLE came along).

You can't rush your business plan. It does take time to develop the skills needed to properly cover and edit a wedding. By the time you get to say...20 or so, you get reasonably proficient. That might take you 2 years to get there. Maybe 1, but you will have either grey, or no hair by the end of it.

We do have a tradition of honest critiquing here at dvinfo, so don't take this wrong. The value in this forum is to progress the business and art of wedding videography. Many of us are battling the negative stigma of cheesy work in the 90's (no offence to those of us who were there) Personally, and honestly, I thought your clip looked to amateurish to use for a professional promotion. The competition in your market could use it against you.

There are clips that definitely shouldn't be included. Like the zoom on the palm tree at 1:35 for example. And I really don't like on-camera zooms unless there is a very good reason (the human eye doesn't zoom). And one scene has the background in focus while the couple are soft. There are a great many artists whose work is available here to study while you look for wedding work.

I'm assuming that you have a camera, so in the meantime, use it, learn it, inside and out. Learn to use the manual settings (focus and exposure). Learn all that you can about audio, mic placement etc. Learn the art of camera movement. Get to know your NLE to the point of fluency. I refer to it as the relentless pursuit of excellence.

I wouldn't do free weddings, but you could do cheap to start. Unless you have a relative who is getting married and you can give them a gift and get a demo out of the deal. You will find that do properly produce a wedding when you're just starting, that it takes at least 40 hours, so even at $500.00, you're working for $10.00 an hour.

All the best, and good luck. I look forward to seeing how you progress.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:10 PM   #17
Trustee

Re: Getting my wedding video website started...

Quote:
Many of us are battling the negative stigma of cheesy work in the 90's (no offence to those of us who were there)
And some of us who were there are battling against the cheesy work being produced today.
:-)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques