Santa came early! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 23rd, 2011, 02:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Santa came early!

Okay, it was really the UPS guy, but he's like Santa to me!
Just got my Panasonic AG AC-130 yesterday. I hope to have some
time over this holiday to get to know it. If I compile any decent test footage
I'll post it here. My only immediate negative impressions at all, out of the box,
are that it feels a bit plastic for such a high end (and expensive) camera. Maybe
that's common with Panasonic - this is the first one I've owned so I can't say. But
it felt a bit 'hollow' as compared to, say, my older Sony FX-7 or even the JVC Hm100.
Also, the ND filter switch is very tiny. Again, I am comparing it to the above mentioned cameras,
which use a larger rocker type switch that is easy to feel for and use on the fly if the
situation calls for it. But you sort of have to 'pinch' the little dial on the Panny, and if you
have large hands it would be even more difficult.

Okay, that's the end of my whining! Otherwise I am very excited to get started using it.
If you've read any of my other threads, you know I am new to wedding videography, so I
feel good about starting from scratch with a new camera. I plan to learn it inside out and be
100% confident in using it by the time I shoot my first 'real' wedding. I have already managed to book 2 weddings by the way - one in
April and one in May; both for very prominent families. I hope to book several
in the spring before those, so I will feel at least a little more ready to do quality work for them. I don't
mean to sound like I am playing favorites because of their social status, but hey - we're running businesses here right?
Their endorsement could be huge for me. But I digress.

So, the AC-130 will get put through the paces over the next several days. :)
Ben Creighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Santa came early!

Hi Ben

Very nice...you seem excited as a kid around the Christmas tree!! I was surprised to hear about the "plastic" look!! My HMC82's are and look pretty solid but as long as the AC-130's work well then why worry??
I will be looking foward to your comments as I'd also like to have 1/3rd chip cameras!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've never laid hands on the camera and have been recommending your camera highly. I believe for the money it's the cam to buy for excellent low-light performance.

Congratulations, Ben, great choice. Keep us posted.
Old November 26th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I shot a couple of minutes with it this weekend; nothing fancy, just trying it out (no sound on this clip). I wanted to get some nice fall colors, but hey - I live in the California central valley, not New England! So mostly just some boring shots in my backyard (special thanks to Chloe and Cooper for their cooperation... woof). I also shot a bit of us putting up our Christmas tree, just to experiment in low light. And I know I overused the zoom function as well, but I wanted to demonstrate to 22x optical of this camera. I noticed a bit of vignetting on the 'bird on a wire' shot (1:04). I will say that I was impressed by the lack of noise even at 12db gain. Your thoughts??

Old November 26th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The zoom is amazing, the footage is awesome. 22x, unbelievable, got to get me one of those. The ONLY thing missing from the camera, as far as my needs/wants, is a touch screen for quick focus like the XA10/XF100. I do love that feature.
Old November 26th, 2011, 01:45 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Okay, here's where I confess that I touched the screen about 10 times before realizing/remembering that it wasn't a touch screen! Had that damn iPhone too long I guess!! LOL
Old November 26th, 2011, 02:50 AM   #7
Inner Circle

On the feel of the camera, I hated that aspect of the HMC150, it felt too cheap and plasticky. The Sony and Canon camera bodies seem substantial and professional, the HMC150 felt like a toy. Your 160 looks the same, but with the 22x zoom and great footage you'll be getting, that will soon be forgotten!
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #8
Trustee

I'm surprised to hear about the plasticky feel - the HVX200's I've shot with on occasion were solid as a tank. I've seen a few that have really been put to work and, despite being held together by gaffer tape, the damn things just keep on working!

Have fun with your new toy!
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #9
Inner Circle

The plasticky comment is also strange as my HMC82's are really solid too!!!

I still have to get me a pair of AC-130's too!!! So far GMP only have the 160 in stock so I'm waiting as I don't need the extra features but 1/3rd chips and a decent diameter glass will make wedding receptions a LOT easier!!!

That zoom is awesome Ben......I'm not really sure that I would need 22X for weddings!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 06:59 AM   #10
New Boot

Can anyone here comment on the zoom speed. Can you get a nice slow creep without any problems at the beginning or end of the zoom?
Ian Liuzzi-Fedun is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques