DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   How did they do this? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/503424-how-did-they-do.html)

Tariq Peter December 9th, 2011 01:37 PM

How did they do this?

Hi Guys,

I was watching The Young Apprentice on the BBC last night and was wondering how the following segment was filmed. It appears that there are 3 cameras present but when we see a bird’s eye view I see none. Have they been removed using CGI or am I missing something?

BBC iPlayer - Young Apprentice: Series 2: Popcorn

Time = 04:10 to 06:11

Thank you.

Warren Kawamoto December 9th, 2011 01:45 PM

Re: How did they do this?

I just tried to play the video, but it says it can only be played in the UK because of rights issues.

George Kilroy December 10th, 2011 05:46 AM

Despite that it is presented as a 'reality' event the show is very highly produced and in parts scripted and staged. There are a lot of shots which are obviously set up and filmed as individual pieces, and no doubt re-shot to suit the narrative and the editing. I doubt very much that that encounter in the garden was shown verbatim.

Tariq Peter December 11th, 2011 04:14 PM

I would love to watch 'The Making of'

Claire Buckley December 12th, 2011 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tariq Peter (Post 1702596)
Hi Guys,

I was watching The Young Apprentice on the BBC last night and was wondering how the following segment was filmed. It appears that there are 3 cameras present but when we see a bird’s eye view I see none. Have they been removed using CGI or am I missing something?

BBC iPlayer - Young Apprentice: Series 2: Popcorn

Time = 04:10 to 06:11

Thank you.

As George says: setup.

Two cameras and a sound guy - one on Sugar with the sync sound the other taking the wild cut-aways of the Apprentices. The wide shot from the window was done after the chat along with some other cut-aways in the group. That's what you get when a director and crew take control of the event - there is nothing spontaneous about this.

Camera and Nat Sof (Natural Sound On Film) shoots kids playing ball. Sugar enters and camera shoots reactions of kids seeing Sugar enter - because they don't know he's going to turn up they look surprised. Then director says "cut" "stop" "hold it", "from the top please" or whatever. Then they setup to shoot Sugar enter again - with sync sound focussing on Sugar. When the chat has finished, camera relocates to window for the wide shot and director tells everybody to take first positions or whatever. Got that shot, camera then does medium shots of group - and other noddy stuff.

They might have even done this on one camera and sound person, with the arrival of Sugar's car done at another time - depends on the costs v time constraints.

Probably took about an hour to shoot in total, although you only get to see 2 minutes or so.

It's great when you can craft the event - o happy days.

:)