DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   GoPro Hero 2 at weddings??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/503678-gopro-hero-2-weddings.html)

Chris Harding December 17th, 2011 10:44 PM

GoPro Hero 2 at weddings???

Hi Guys

Anyone using this little machine at weddings??? I'm sorely tempted to buy myself one of the AR Drones from Parrot (it's a quadricopter) and get some rather neat pre-wedding establishing shots of Churches from about 50' up in the air.

I know that Philip does use two at the rear of the Church as a static camera but the super wide angle might be an issue....it's still a neat little camera ...would be awesome for an underwater wedding!

Who has one and what do you use it for at weddings????

Chris

John Knight December 17th, 2011 11:48 PM

Re: GoPro Hero 2 at weddings???

Hi Chris - all the time!

They are beautiful - used to use the v1 but recently got the v2 and the quality is much improved.

I just use it for impact shots - not as a 2nd camera. Go for the Motorsport kit with the suction cup. If the couple have got a nice classic wedding car, I suction the camera on the back of my car, then get the driver to follow me really close.... then speed things up. Get's an amazing "how-did-he-do-that" shot. Then change halfway through the trip and suction it inside the car pointing at the couple.

Also use it on balconys, suctioned to church windows etc. Best buy of 2011.

Warren Kawamoto December 18th, 2011 01:14 AM

It's great outdoors and in bright situations, but isn't it too grainy to use indoors, such as in a dark church or reception?

Chris Harding December 18th, 2011 01:18 AM

Thanks Guys

I though it would be useful but as Warren says don't expect too much in a low light Church. Over here we have stacks of outdoor weddings.

Curses, I bought the Outdoor Kit and V2 so I'll just grab a suction cup for that!!!

Chris

Chris Harding December 18th, 2011 01:29 AM

Hey John

Just bought a suction cup mount as we have a local guy here so I get it in one day!!! Gotta try this as it sounds really good!!

Chris

Paul Mailath December 18th, 2011 11:39 AM

I'm looking at one now for exactly the same reason- but it looks as if you do have to make some changes.

from what I'm reading the iphone app isn't all that accurate in controlling the drone and you can't expect 50' out of it. You need to wire in a proper RC unit. I'll try to find the page for you

AR Drone RC 2.4g Radio Kit, NO iPHONE / iPOD Needed (aka the MacGyver mod) | eBay

undermount for gopro

AR.Drone modifications, Etfett.net

It certainly looks worth a test

Chris Harding December 19th, 2011 06:11 AM

Hi Paul

The Android phone app is supposed to work better and is reportedly good up to 150' ....it also has an auto-hover feature which would be good as all we want to do is go up a bit and get a nice aerial shoot without any heroics!!!

The guys with the mounts is a bit pricey!! $80 for two plastic channels that sit over the battery ??? and he takes ages to make them too!!! If you get a drone then the AR Done forum is well worth a visit!!

I'll play after NewYear once I have caught up with weddings!!

Chris

Nigel Barker December 19th, 2011 11:14 AM

I have just purchased a GoPro HD Hero 2 & a Parrot AR.Drone with the intention of doing some aerial shots although just for fun as here in the UK there are legal issues with regard to "aerial work" i.e. any commercial use of aerial photography. Sadly the supplier of the overpriced camera mount is totally unreliable. I ordered a mount 5 weeks ago & when I complained got my money refunded but also the promise that I would receive a mount for free but this has not materialised. I am not looking for a freebie & perfectly happy to pay for the mount but sadly there is no alternative supplier.

The Drone is a lot of fun to fly & there is a better iPhone app too called Drone Ace. The autopilot is very effective & any time that you get in trouble flying it you can let go of the controls & have the Drone just hover. I just got the proper R/C kit but haven't yet fitted it but apparently it makes it much easier to fly & you can still use an iPhone/iPad for a view through the Drone's onboard camera for aligning the GoPro.

Chris Harding December 19th, 2011 05:03 PM

Hi Nigel

I have heard that reverberate around the world! Apart from cost the supplier is quoting 3 week delivery but seldom living up to it. Seriously the mounts are just plastic channel SURELY they are "makeable"???? His website shows the top mount very clearly but I'm not too sure if the FOV clears the props!! I was thinking underslung but then it gets in the way of the downwards looking camera which is used for control.

Once I get my wedding backlog cleared up and Christmas out of the way, I can concentrate on a mount

Chris

Nigel Barker December 20th, 2011 02:53 AM

Chris, any top mount on the Drone will always have the props in view (unless it were pointed up vertically I suppose:-). The under mount is fabricated using a 3D printer. I suggested to Daniel that he upload his CAD drawings to Shapeways & have them do the manufacture & delivery. There is already a really ingenious & cheap 3-axis gimbal mount for the GoPro with gyros for use in larger flying machines 3-axis camera gimbal for GoPro (back cage) by sfx on Shapeways Take a look at the video 3-axis camera gimbal for GoPro (gyro stabilisation test) - YouTube

If the mount from Norway doesn't arrive then I shall start experimenting with a simple DIY mount made of card & velcro.