How do you handle travel fees? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 27th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #1
Major Player

How do you handle travel fees?

Do you charge a flat fee for weddings more than X miles away? or do you charge by the mile? Or do you quote on a case-by-case basis?
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How do you handle travel fees?

Hey Katie

Hope you had a great Christmas!!

Our "Metro Area" embraces maybe 60km south and the same North and about 40km East (sorry I'm too lazy to convert to miles!!) I cost out for that area and include it in my price.

Anything further over here would be over 200kms so I have a '200" and "400" travel fee which includes overnight accommodation and travel cost for two people. I have done a few of these and the bride have never queried the travel/sleepover fee...my reasoning is that I don't really want to finish a wedding after midnight and then still have a 2 hour + drive home!!!

I guess in another Town/City I would cost in for an area that would take me around 45 mins approx to get home after the gig! Anything more than that in my opinion needs it's own travel cost fee (whether it's an overnight stay or not) The boundaries are really up to you!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Case by case. For instance when I go to downtown Chicago I charge a flat fee because of parking (can easily be $50). I shot a wedding in East Lansing Mi. a few years ago and there was a fee plus they took care of hotel for 2 nights (Indian wedding ran Friday and Saturday) I've been to Milwaukee where I've charged a travel fee but didn't stay over although I probably should have. Heck, I've stayed over in downtown Chicago on a couple of occassions.
Point is, it's all case by case but around here traveling 50 or 60 miles one way isn't all that unusual and with the highway system in the greater Chicagoland area it isn't too difficult to get around plus around here we don't talk in miles but in how long it takes to travel. For example, people ask me what area I live in and it's "about 20 minutes northwest of O'Hare" no miles mentioned. So travel fees all depend but sometimes they are necessary and when so, they get charged.
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Katie,

We have a standard formula.
We add the total distance and the first 60 km is free but after that its .40 cents a km (based on the ridiculously high price of Canadian fuel) We go over this with the clients during the contract signing.

Cheers,

Kren
Old December 28th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Case by case, like Don. I don't advertise a particular set up, because it really depends on the date, how the travel falls against other travel/etc. If I happen to book back-to-back weddings in the same far off spot (this happened a couple times), I can take that all into account.
Old December 28th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Major Player

What works for us is to charge a basic rate and hide it in your package price. For me it's $100 because we have up to three cars sometimes. If the wedding goes beyond 40 miles from my house or we are doing a wedding in San Francisco where we are going to get hit with parking fee, tolls etc. then we charge $100 more. Sometimes I make out with extra money and sometimes I lose a few bucks, but I always tell my clients travel and tax is included. Countless clients have told me that they love how I give them pretty much one price and they don't have to do much math.

If we have to drive more than two hours then we charge for one or two nights stay. Which we charge and pay for ourselves. And we tell the client that the hotel is not included in the price because hotel rates fluctuate.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I'm in Los Angeles. I don't charge additional in any in state weddings. Recently took a wedding in Hawaii. I asked for $500 expense. The couple agreed. It's more like, I'm having a vacation in Hawaii.. but I can work one day to make some money. Why not. Also, I can expense air fare and lodging =)
Old January 1st, 2012, 11:25 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Katie

Case by case basis is I believe the best way. I think it also really depends on your pricing structure. I think if you were to put on a rate sheet something like "50 cents per additional mile over 50 miles or hotel must be provided if over x number of miles" (you get my point) you risk loosing potential clients and not even knowing it. I think if a client is going to spend a good amount of money with you then trying to get an extra $50 bucks for mileage or $100 for a hotel may be a turn off, I know it would be for me. Now if your going to Hawaii, lucky you Taky:) that is a different story, of course you would charge travel.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques