yr favorite shots/techniques at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 5th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

yr favorite shots/techniques

Hello All,
Since we're in the "off-season" and many of us might be strategizing for spring, I thought I'd start a thread about favorite shots and techniques...you know, those shots that make you smile with pride or whisper "yes!" as you're editing. My own style is very naturalistic, very little posing, so two of my latest favorites may seem simple or "old hat" to the longtime pros among us. But here are two ideas that have worked so nicely in recent films:

1. A nice, long tight shot of the bride's eyes as she is getting ready, eyes only, no nose and just a hint of hairline. Must be rock-solid and perfectly focused on the pupils. Often I get this during make-up but sometimes during dress lace-up. In editing, I use this in the introductory segment of the long film. Before you see the bride's face entirely, a few shots of hands, shoulder, feet (often twisting nervously on rung of chair during make-up), then long shot of eyes, then full front shot of bride.

2. After the ceremony, after the family photo shoot, I ask B & G to sit at a pew in the empty church or stand at the altar and just chat about what's happened so far. I tell them to just try and forget that I'm there and enjoy a few moments alone. I roll for about 5 minutes on this, getting a few pans and rack-focus shots. This is a great way to end the ceremony segment of the long film.

So, anyone want to share their ideas for great shots? Even simple ones.

Keaton
Keaton Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: yr favorite shots/techniques

I love dolly in our out shots of the dress hanging from a hanger. I also love steadicam from feet up to full body as the bride walks down aisle or going in for the kiss. Steadicam flying past a group pose, then reversing in post is amazing too.
Zhong Cheung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques