Service trade at your own wedding? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 7th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Service trade at your own wedding?

Hey folks,
Just wondering if any of you guys did like a trade of service with other vendors for your wedding? Like made a promo video for your DJ in exchange for his services on your day etc? If so did it work out well in the end? if not was there just no interest from vendors? did you offend anyone by bringing it up?

As you can imagine Im planning my wedding at the moment..lol.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Service trade at your own wedding?

Hey David

I was married just too long ago (I had to transfer my VHS tape to DVD!!) However congrats on your upcoming wedding. You obviously have to find a DJ (or other vendor) with an upcoming wedding so I would be careful in not choosing a vendor for their skills but simply because you might do a swop of services!!

Are you having video??? I was wondering how critical we would be of the poor videographer at our own wedding. I did a wedding last year and my buddy photographer tagged along as he also wanted to get into video. He spent most of the day telling me what the photog was doing wrong and how she should be doing it!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Setting up contra deals with guys you don't know for your brides day of days is not worth taking any chances or risks whatsoever.

If a wheel falls off and they start a fracas - she'll - never - ever - let - you - forget - it.

Congratulations.

Cheers.
Old January 7th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Major Player

Good points,
I was thinking more along the lines of contacting the people we were actually considering and wondering if they'd be intererested in trading their service for my service in the form of a promotional film or something.

Chris, I am having video, though it's difficult to find someone when you're on a budget, but I have some things in the works. Video is the most difficult thing to book for us because not only am I picky but she's become really picky too just from being around me and critiquing my own work.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #5
Major Player

We did a promo video in exchange for our DJ and photographer, and a photobooth company did our wedding for free. They were all "friends" we have worked with prior, so we didn't really need a contract or anything.

It worked out great for us and them! I recommend it!
Old January 9th, 2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Congratulations David. Hit me up, I know a DJ who's good and inexpensive.
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #7
Major Player

Noel, whats your contact info?
David Schuurman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques