Before the Shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 12th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Major Player

Before the Shoot

Hi Everyone,
A while back there was a thread about things to tell the bride and groom before the wedding, someone mentioned a questionaire they used, and so forth, but I can't seem to find it now.

Basically, I already have a "Keep in Mind" list of things for the bride and groom to check out before the shoot...things like keeping the music low during bridal prep, letting people know about video messages, final delivery times, etc.

What does your "Keep in Mind" list include...I'm just trying to see if there is anything else I should add to ours that would be good.

Thanks!
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Before the Shoot

Please, please, please provide us with your choice of music before the wedding. There's not much that we can do to start with the edit until we get this list.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Please, please, please provide us with your choice of music before the wedding. There's not much that we can do to start with the edit until we get this list.
Agreed. I even tell them that their choice of music affects the way I shoot. This might be SLIGHTLY stretching the truth, but not really. If I know they want a very unique type of song for part of the Highlights, it actually *will* affect some of the choices I make as I shoot.

And yes, no question, if they haven't gotten me the music choices, I can't do anything besides sort their footage, edit the ceremony, and label clips for highlights.
Old January 13th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys...we do include a note about choosing music. This may seem strange, but hardly ever do we have brides pick music...we usually do all the choosing. Last summer I had 2 out of 16 brides that wanted to pick. The others all wanted the "stress of choosing", as they put it, to be in someone else's hands.

Our note simply says that if they do want to choose music, they have to give us a list of songs to choose from before the wedding.

Anything else besides music that people think should be included?
Katie Fasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2012, 01:48 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Katie

Yeah music is always an issue ..."we haven't quite decided yet' ...My questions, usually at the rehearsal also would include, where the limo is stopping. which way is it coming in and what model/colour is it???

It really does help me simply to be able to watch out for a silver limo and also know which entrance it will be coming in and even from which direction!! I've been caught out a few times when the bride has arrived 30 minutes too early and the limo has already parked off and that entails getting her back into the car and doing a 're-entry' ...the more you know the better and can at least plan your day!!!

I always like to get as much info as i can about everything...make sure you know the MC's name so you have someone to liase with at the reception and also make sure the photoshoot location is exact (unless you plan to follow the limo after the ceremony) We have sat waiting for the limo to show up at a photo shoot simply because we assumed we knew where they were going on the West side of the City!!!

I always also make sure I have bride, groom and photog cell numbers!!! If you do get lost at least you can call someone!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques