DSLR video - to use a hood or not? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 13th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Major Player

DSLR video - to use a hood or not?

I was just wondering if people always use their lens hoods at weddings. With the exception of really bright sunlight outside where you can actually see the flare and negative affects of not having a hood, do you have them permanently attached the rest of the time?

Carrying 6 lenses means the hoods take up so much space in my bag and whenever I see a still of another videographer lately they always seem to be using a lens without the hood (especially 24-70 and 70-200 users), is this because they're just so big, or is having them on not worth the trade off in terms of the extra bag space they take up for you?
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: DSLR video - to use a hood or not?

I usually take my hoods unless I know that there won't be any bright lights around. Chances are you won't know you need it until you take the shot. I just like being confident in knowing I have what I need. Right now all my hoods fit in my case except the 70-200. If I have anymore then I will have to get a seperate case!

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: DSLR video - to use a hood or not?

John,

Do you know if it is focal length or aperture that's more likely to affect whether you need a hood?

Yes when I get a 70-200 I think I'm going to leave the hood in the boot of the car and only go and get it when I'm in real need of it. That thing is massive.
David J. Payne is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques