DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   SEO Backlinking Project (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/504477-search-engine-optimization-backlinking-project.html)

Tim Gilbertson January 17th, 2012 01:51 PM

SEO Backlinking Project

Hi everybody,

I've developed a backlinking project to increase google search rankings to the people who participate. It's kind of like a webring where you link to one person, then the next person links to you. It's not specifically related to Weddings, but it has a huge impact for wedding videographers.

Check out this post in the business section: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-c...g-project.html check it out, and sign up if you're interested. I've spent a lot of time coding the PHP for this, so I'm hoping it will benefit everyone involved.

Thanks!

T

Claire Buckley January 18th, 2012 06:01 AM

Re: SEO Backlinking Project

My advice, don't...

Fastest way to lose any ranking you may have had. Link quantities in the long-term do not influence rankings - link quality does, plus having good and unique content.

Google's search algorithms have for sometime picked out the link exchange scams and link farms.

My suggestion is that you visit Google's SEO help forum to get a better understanding of how it all works.

Link exchanges and link farms will sink not only you but all participants. And as for the old chestnut "well www . thatsitedoesit . com is successful etc..." simply means Google hasn't got around to dealing with them... yet.

And if you believe the SEO gmail spam telling you they can put you at the top of page one in a week, simply means they will install all the black hat stuff on your site promoting other stuff. Yes, you might be at number one in a week - but in week two you will be a penalised site asking Google to forgive your stupidity in order to even register on page ten.

Good luck with your "project".

:)

Tim Gilbertson January 18th, 2012 12:23 PM

Here's another similar project operating since for nearly 3 years: SEO For Photographers - Link Exchange Coopertative. If you look for the first 5 rankings of photographers in most cities it's because they use these services or have paid the $100/yr to buy up to 50 links. As far as I can tell, it works pretty well.

Higher ranking websites also build more links on their own because they become more successful/are more visible, fighting off the chance that Google decides that links from years ago were bad.

Claire Buckley January 18th, 2012 12:39 PM

Tim,

I think someone else is also telling otherwise here in the forum at http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-c...g-project.html

It's very simple, if you have good and unique content then you will be indexed more favourably - there is no easy path - you have to work for it. Paying for links and joining link exchange schemes is a very silly thing to do.

As I said, good luck with your project.

As for anyone else who wants to find out how to achieve better search engine indexing results (by Google) without getting tarnished by "get-there-quick, it-seemed-like-a-good-idea-at-the-time" third-party schemes, then I suggest the following link to the Google Webmaster forums for more information:

Webmaster Central Help

Select, Crawling, Indexing & Ranking, and then if you wish you could search for link exchange - link farms SERPS

:)

Jeff Harper January 18th, 2012 03:39 PM

Link exchanges, etc., can and do work. Whether it is for everyone is a different matter. When done properly, it can be safe and extremely effective. I know pros who have done if for years who have achieved very good results using such methods.

I'm not recommending for or against, but I'm no so certain I'd announce it publicly, Tim, but that is just my opinion. Good luck with your efforts!

Kawika Ohumukini January 18th, 2012 04:22 PM

Stuff like this has been going on since the early days of the Internet as we know it. If you've got the time/money to use it then go ahead. Just don't rely on it as a primary source of visitors. It's one of many ways to get traffic. My personal opinion is, like search engines, it's like standing on a corner handing flyers out to people you don't know that expressed some mild interest in what you're doing. It's a start but hardly makes them qualified prospects. I prefer to find a niche group I can reach. Just a thought. GL

Tim Gilbertson January 18th, 2012 04:35 PM

Thanks for the input everybody. I believe exchanges like this have the potential to be an effective supplement to other SEO techniques. It's tough when you work in a business driven mostly by one-time customers, so search engines can be very beneficial.