DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Running 'n Gunning, DSLR. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/504534-running-n-gunning-dslr.html)

Jordan Brindle January 19th, 2012 05:55 AM

Running 'n Gunning, DSLR.

Well i recently invested in a 'like-new' 5D Mk2 and jumped on the DSLR bandwagon. I already own a steadicam and spiderbrace for my previous prosumer camcorder and believe the 5D will make much better use of them, which is good. My question is, how viable is real running and gunning with the DSLR for 'b roll' type footage?

In my work/style, i am often shooting hand held and have a steady hold with my V1. But i am wondering how viable it is taking the DSLR off any kind of stabilization (with an IS lens) and shooting from the wrist/hip and if anyone here has had some good results they'd be willing to share?

Sorry if this has been asked before, couldn't find anything specific with the search feature.

Tim Bakland January 19th, 2012 11:08 PM

Re: Running 'n Gunning, DSLR.

I really find that once you add the focus-factor (the need to focus with one hand) a monopod is so helpful. I know that takes some of the run 'n gun out of the equation, though.

Brian David Melnyk January 20th, 2012 06:43 AM

i am just transitioning to DSLR and i have my 5D mounted on a Cavision rig with FF and a DP6 monitor which seems to make in-focus run-n-gun footage possible. not super light, but achieving focus is worth the weight... i removed the shoulder mount and padded the articulating arm it was mounted on to make it lighter and actually more versatile as it can now be easily flipped up and braced against my chest or used as a handle etc.
that said, i will still be using a HV-30 with wide angle on a Merlin so i can actually concentrate on the shot and have it smooth without struggling with focus- which seems to kill creativity a bit. when i get a wider lens for my T3i, i may substitute it for the HV-30 and just keep the f-stops closed down. the 5D rig will likely be used mostly on a tripod.
for me, using two cameras in this way is the way to go to cover my bases.

Chris Medico January 20th, 2012 08:19 AM

That is a challenging application for a dSLR. The rolling shutter issues with those cameras makes the footage look really bad when you are hand holding the camera. Those little micro shakes play hell with rolling shutters. At a minimum you may need to mount the camera on a set of rails with grips to reduce micro shakes. Using a lens with OIS will be a big help too.

Set up some test shots to see what you think of the footage.

Jordan Brindle January 20th, 2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk (Post 1710515)
i am just transitioning to DSLR and i have my 5D mounted on a Cavision rig with FF and a DP6 monitor which seems to make in-focus run-n-gun footage possible. not super light, but achieving focus is worth the weight... i removed the shoulder mount and padded the articulating arm it was mounted on to make it lighter and actually more versatile as it can now be easily flipped up and braced against my chest or used as a handle etc.
that said, i will still be using a HV-30 with wide angle on a Merlin so i can actually concentrate on the shot and have it smooth without struggling with focus- which seems to kill creativity a bit. when i get a wider lens for my T3i, i may substitute it for the HV-30 and just keep the f-stops closed down. the 5D rig will likely be used mostly on a tripod.
for me, using two cameras in this way is the way to go to cover my bases.

Hi Brian. I do have a spiderbrace, not quite a shoulder rig but it does the trick. Only trouble is i cannot attach a conventional focus ring adapter to it, therefore its pretty useless for when i need to focus on the fly. However, i don't really intend on using the 5D for my bread & butter shots, so getting a rig would be pretty redundant for me at this point. And there's only so much you can do with the DSLR when its on your shoulder any way! I imagine if/when i fully transition into DSLR's, a proper shoulder rig will be at the top of my list. Good luck with your transition!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Medico (Post 1710535)
That is a challenging application for a dSLR. The rolling shutter issues with those cameras makes the footage look really bad when you are hand holding the camera. Those little micro shakes play hell with rolling shutters. At a minimum you may need to mount the camera on a set of rails with grips to reduce micro shakes. Using a lens with OIS will be a big help too.

Set up some test shots to see what you think of the footage.

Yup you are right Chris, but i have no intention of using it hand-held without an IS lense! I've seen it and its ugly! :)

Was just curious if anyone had some good results to share! If it's just not good i'll keep it stabilized, tripod/Steadicam, no problem. Off to go have a play!

Cheers!

Tim Gilbertson January 20th, 2012 11:10 AM

First thing: get used to using footage stabilizing plugins...

I used a monopod for a few years, but I'm leaning towards a shoulder mount rig now. It works much much better. I use a viewfinder on the LCD for getting focus which works very well. Having the viewfinder stabilizes as well because the camera is pressed to your face (as unappealing as that sounds).