Best single shooters? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:29 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Best single shooters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Work permits would only be required for long term employment.
Filming weddings is not one of the categories of business visitor who does not require a permit. The rules specifically mention film crew who are allowed in without a work permit for doing location shoots but that's not the same thing at all. UK Border Agency | What business activities can a business visitor do?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #17
Trustee

I wonder how much enforcement can be applied, especially as the UK seems to have an open door to all and sundry.
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:44 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
I wonder how much enforcement can be applied, especially as the UK seems to have an open door to all and sundry.
I agree but if you turn up from a country outside the EU with a load of filming equipment they could make an obvious deduction.

You need to get a visa to enter the UK before you even leave the Philippines. I am not sure how tough they are to get but presumably you can pretend to be taking a vacation. With DSLRs you could just claim to be a keen photographer.

All countries reserve work for their own residents. Canadians cannot just drive over the border & film weddings in the US or vice versa.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 06:20 AM   #19
Trustee

Fair comments Nigel and no doubt accurate too. I guess as a sole operator I have never had this problem. I have filmed in the US, Canada, Africa, Switzerland and many other locations, never been asked if I was on business. Then again I always think of my work as pleasure.
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #20
Major Player

I called a friend who used Ian and they said he asked for a tourist visa and all was ok.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #21
Major Player

Have to agree with Nigel. However for wedding videographers/photographers it is easy to say I am attending a wedding and it's usually end of story.

I doubt if any of the international photographers/videographers actually apply for work visas, nor would I think it is easily granted as every country wants to keep it local.

My 2 cents.
Old February 13th, 2012, 11:45 PM   #22
Major Player

I asked a photographer we once worked with who does a lot of destination weddings in the US, Mexico and the Caribbean if he applied for work permits, he said there is no need as long as your client is the same nationality as you (Canadian).

Cheers!

Kren

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques