Best single shooters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 22nd, 2012, 12:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Best single shooters?

Hi,

I am a massive fan of Ian Cruz, his work is amazing. I am seeing a lot of wedding films made using 2 or 3 videographers and wanted to know if you could share your favourite videographers who still shoot on their own.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Best single shooters?

Really? I thought Ian has a crew that work alongside him..nevertheless J.P. from www.weddingfilms.com is a great solo shooter.

Kren

Last edited by Kren Barnes; January 22nd, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Joel's work is outstanding.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2012, 08:28 PM   #4
Major Player

Gary Hanna from Philly, very creative and all around nice guy too!
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 08:36 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I would have thought that the most obvious answer here (provided that you do shoot single-handed) was yourself ... I think it's important to love your work and love what you do and what you produce. If you are totally in awe of some other production company you will tend to try and emulate them which is wrong as your style is what makes brides like you and pay lots of dollars into your bank account.

Cmon guys and girls let's have some self confidence here. Your wedding videography business is going great guns is it not??? Your brides love your work right??? Isn't the answer obvious??? Why give credit and admiration to someone else??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tariq Peter View Post
Hi,

I am a massive fan of Ian Cruz, his work is amazing. I am seeing a lot of wedding films made using 2 or 3 videographers and wanted to know if you could share your favourite videographers who still shoot on their own.
He is quoting 3 videographers in his packages Ian Cruz Films
Incidentally check out what you get for your money in the Philippines. Top package with 3 videographers is 95000 Philippine Peso (about £1400/$2200)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 01:51 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I would have thought that the most obvious answer here (provided that you do shoot single-handed) was yourself ... I think it's important to love your work and love what you do and what you produce. If you are totally in awe of some other production company you will tend to try and emulate them which is wrong as your style is what makes brides like you and pay lots of dollars into your bank account.

Cmon guys and girls let's have some self confidence here. Your wedding videography business is going great guns is it not??? Your brides love your work right??? Isn't the answer obvious??? Why give credit and admiration to someone else??

Chris
Because there is a lot of respect to others that have years of experience. If you don't study other peoples work, how is your stuff going to stay fresh? I agree that you need to make it your own, but why stay in a cave not looking at what the top performers in the industry are creating? There is always room to grow and one more trick to add to your bag.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Incidentally check out what you get for your money in the Philippines. Top package with 3 videographers is 95000 Philippine Peso (about £1400/$2200)
My friend had him fly over with his team, it worked out much cheaper and they loved the videos.
Old January 24th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hey Greg

I agree absolutely...by all means look at other peoples shots and styles but still create your own specific style without trying to do your entire shoot like the person you admire. If I see someone else do a really cool shot yes, I might adapt it into my style but I have seen too many newbies try and "copycat" experienced videographers right down to the way they do their titles and their shot sequence and transitions. If experienced Joe Bloggs uses short shots during bridal prep and has a white flash transition between each shot it doesn't mean you have to emulate it exactly, just cos he is well known. It's still important to develop your interpretation the way you see it but if Joe has filmed the rings in a really nice way..by all means incorporate it in your sequence and film the rings the same way!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Nigel,

I think you are trying to compare pounds to pesos which is valid. But houses in SF is not the same price in Bakersfield or in this case the Phils (just an example)

It could be cost of living I think. cost of labor.

But if you look closely at the competition in the Philippines, Ian is one of the higher end shooters, meaning that he charges on the top tier. So, it is relative. because the highest package there which is Jason and bob both at around 120k pesos.

I will argue though, that if they reside in your area or mine, their going rate for three shooters would be similar to the top names you know of here at around 5k-8k, actually might be more.

Similarly, vice versa, if we try to reside there , if we normally charge 3700 minimum here in US , if you convert that to pesos 151000 .. I will say... Good luck : ) because going back to cost of living, not so many people can afford it there and it is 20% already of a decent house in the phils. 20% of a decent house here in sf is $100-200k : )

Im from the phils by the way so I know : )
Old January 26th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Sigmund, I was trying to highlight the point that the cost of living in the Philippines must be much lower than US or Europe for such low prices to be charged for such exceptional work.
Old January 26th, 2012, 06:11 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Quote:
My friend had him fly over with his team, it worked out much cheaper and they loved the videos.
Cheaper maybe but it is illegal to use cheap foreign labour without work permits.
Old February 9th, 2012, 12:00 PM   #13
Major Player

I have no doubt that everything was above board..I think you would also need to pay for the flights and accommodation which will balance it all out.
Old February 10th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Cheaper maybe but it is illegal to use cheap foreign labour without work permits.
Quote:
I have no doubt that everything was above board..I think you would also need to pay for the flights and accommodation which will balance it all out.
There is no way that work permits would be issued to film a private wedding. It would be different if it was a news crew covering the Royal Wedding. There are plenty of videographers within the EU to choose from.
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #15
Trustee

Work permits would only be required for long term employment.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques