DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Do you call the DJ/band ahead of time... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/504680-do-you-call-dj-band-ahead-time.html)

Scott Holchin January 23rd, 2012 04:47 PM

Do you call the DJ/band ahead of time...

I was wondering if you call the DJ or Band ahead of the reception date to ask for a audio feed, a friend of mine who I just found out is a wedding DJ said if the videographer does not call him ahead of time he will not give a feed whatsoever.
He also said that most DJ mixers can be hard to get with multiple audio outputs. He said he has had to use the headphone output before for a send to video.

Chris Harding January 23rd, 2012 05:57 PM

Re: Do you call the DJ/band ahead of time...

Hi Scott

I have never used a feed at a wedding..most wedding DJ's are NOT sound engineers and they tend to use simple mixers not 32 channel desks so your feed, if you get one won't be that good anyway. I rather stick to using my own mics for reception audio. However since the DJ is often also the MC, I do meet him/her long before the bride arrives...but not for any tech stuff

Chris

Waldemar Winkler January 23rd, 2012 06:50 PM

I feel making contact with any other vendor is professional courtesy, and a good practice in the long run. Chris is right in that a lot of DJ's might not know if their equipment has an available line out audio port or even what kind of connector it uses. One can resolve a lot with a courtesy call.

I used to know most of the DJ's in my market area. Some were OK with providing me an audio feed, some knew if a feed would be available or not, and some,.... well, I just felt more comfortable placing an audio recorder near a loudspeaker.

Art Varga January 25th, 2012 01:51 PM

I also let the couple know in advance that I will need a soundboard feed from the DJ or band leader and ask them to let them know so that when I do call them, I'm just following up on the request already made. I come prepared with a variety of cables but it's usually either 1/4" or RCA. I also never count on just the soundboard feed because you can never rely on them maintaining a consistent level. So I'll have at least one other audio recorder and mic in front of the speakers

Aaron Mayberry January 27th, 2012 01:10 PM

I contact them if we're doing a Same Day Edit...otherwise we just roll with the punches.

I usually know more about hooking into their system then they do, and I carry all the connectors I might possibly need. Would make little difference to contact them ahead of time in that aspect.