DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   CropFrame to Full Frame...Lens Suggestions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/505101-cropframe-full-frame-lens-suggestions.html)

Travis Wilber February 8th, 2012 10:38 AM

CropFrame to Full Frame...Lens Suggestions

I'm gonna shoot my first 5d wedding in a couple weeks. I used a T2i all last year.

The one thing I'm worried about is that the difference in sense sizes is gonna kinda screw me up with everything wider and at different focal lengths then I'm used to.

Last year the 24 - 70mm was my main lens using the 17-55 occasionally when I needed a wide shot. And then I pretty much only used the 24 1.4 during the reception.

Does anyone use the 70 - 200 2.8 alot during weddings? Is this the go to for the ceremony?

Any suggestions for maybe the top three lens' you use (besides ceremony) for weddings will be nice.
I'm thinking 24 - 70 2.8, 35 1.4, 85 1.8

John Stakes February 8th, 2012 01:43 PM

Re: CropFrame to Full Frame...Lens Suggestions

Travis,

I don't think you will have any issue. 70-200 is an awesome lens, but I have only used it for stills at weddings. When I'm shooting video I'm using my XH-A1 since it has great wide angle and 20x zoom if needed. Then I put the T2i on the Glidecam.

As far as focal length, putting the lens on a different body only multiplies it...so you can get the same shot from both bodies, with the same lens, just by moving your feet. Plus I assume you will be using both cameras so there shouldn't be an issue there anyway. The 17-55 and 70-200 get me through most gigs, but if I picked up another lens it would probably be the 35 1.4 but man it's expensive.

Best,
JS

Tim Gilbertson February 8th, 2012 03:57 PM

I like the 24-70 much more on a full frame camera than a crop. It's kind of a weird range on a crop sensor; not very wide, not much tele.

The 70-200 is likely too much. You'd probably need quite a bit of room to be able to use it. The 24-70 is the lens we use most often followed by the 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.2.

Nigel Barker February 9th, 2012 07:19 AM

I dislike the 24-70mm on either a 5DII or 600D/T3i. The image isn't the greatest, it weighs a ton & it's an odd range on the crop sensor camera. The 17-55mm F/2.8 IS on the 600D/T3i on the other hand is a lovely lens & is the one that I use all the time.

I much prefer using the 16-35mm F/2.8L over the 24-70mm on the 5DII & I generally use that most of the time but swap to the 70-200mm if I am at the back for the ceremony or speeches. My other favourite lens on the 5DII is the 135mm F/2L which has beautiful bokeh & is perfect for sniping candid shots of guests at the reception. I do have a 50mm F/1.2L if it is really, really dark but the 5DII is good for at least a couple of stops better than any of the APS-C models so can be used at ISO3200 without noticeable grain that an F/2.8 lens is fine & I usually keep at ISO3200 & vary the aperture to give me a little more depth of field on the longer lenses. On the other hand use the 16-35mm at 16mm & F/2.8 focused at 10ft & it is in focus from about 5ft to infinity:-).