DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Hacked GH2 for weddings?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/505270-hacked-gh2-weddings.html)

Andrew Klokow February 14th, 2012 07:29 PM

Hacked GH2 for weddings??

Hey guys,
So im in the hunt for a new camera. I currently own a t2i with some glass and i usually rent my 2nd camera for weddings/events. Now that i have some built up funds im looking for another camera. I've been looking around and i've noticed that the Hacked GH2 looks extremely sharp. I was wondering if anyone has used it for weddings and how they like it.. I've also been thinking about waiting to see if the 5d mark ii comes down in price when they announce the new camera.

Let me know guys!

-Andrew

Jeff Harper February 15th, 2012 06:26 AM

Re: Hacked GH2 for weddings??

The GH2 is very good for weddings, but how it works out for a shooter depends on many factors.

1. The lenses you choose are of primary importance and greatly affect your experience. After using 15 or so different lenses with the camera, I now use only M/4/3 lenses, which work natively with the GH2. I use only the Panasonic 25mm F/14, the Olympus 12mm F/2.0, and the Panasonic 45mm F/1.8.

2. Learning how to use the camera's auto focus, using the handy touch screen feature, allows quick and easy focus. The continuous auto focus, in my opinion, should be disabled in the camera's menu and forgotten.

If you like the t2i, I would strongly suggest looking at the 60D if you haven't ruled it out already. Using the GH2 with Canon or other lenses is no picnic in a wedding situation. I've been there, and I've got the t-shirt to prove it. Wouldn't go back in a million years.

The GH2, with a battery pack that is now available, can shoot continuously up to 2.5 hours, so that is a nice feature. I've not got the battery pack, but am going to get a couple.

You are jumping into a whole new set of issues and lenses with the GH2, and the learning curve with the camera's idiosyncrasies is not insurmountable, but nevertheless I would avoid it if you already know Canons. Just my 2 Cents.

The big bonus with the 60d is image stabilization, not so with the GH2, which is a huge disadvantage.

The GH2 has advantages is it's images, depending on who you talk to, but the differences are negligible, in my opinion. Proper shooting technique and thoughtfulness will overcome any moire issues most times.

For under $2K you can buy a Canon XA10 and you'd be better off, if you don't need the DOF thingy and can live with 1080 60i or 1080 24p.

Bernardo Gutierrez March 3rd, 2012 02:30 AM

I've shot weddings for the past 2 years, GH1, hacked GH1, GH2 and hacked GH2 settings and I almost sh#$t my pants after I tried to playback some clips during the reception and got the message "Not valid picture to display" and I was supposed to have some clips from the church, luckily the computer was able to read the files, so not a problem there. At that time I had switched back to the original firmware just to be sure.

Ask me if I'm going to shoot again with the hacked GH2.. no thanks, I prefer to keep a better eye on exposure so I don;t have to do heavy grading in post.

This are the lenses we use on one of the two setups:
Panasonic 14-140
Panasonic 20mm f1.7
Panasonic 25mm f1.4

The other setup is a little heavier:
Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 (push pull version)
Vogitlander 58mm f1.4
Rokinon 85mm f1.4

Nigel Barker March 3rd, 2012 07:16 AM

The hacked GH2 is vastly over-rated although all that geeky willy-waving over mega-high bit rates appeals to some. The resolution of a stock GH2 is very good but the ergonomics of the GH2 for shooting weddings is pretty poor. If you are using a T2i then the obvious answer is to get another Canon DSLR as you will have great difficulty matching a GH2 & T2i. Get a T3i (600D).

Chip Thome March 3rd, 2012 09:33 AM

I spent the last 8 months trying to learn how to speak Nikon. I can attest to the fact that trying to run a pair of systems and knowing each one intimately is a serious PITA !!! While trying to learn to speak Nikon, I had set my Panny stuff aside. Recently I noticed that during my absence M4/3 glass had made huge strides. Two weeks ago I said "Good Bye Nikon" and have sold it all and reinvested in M4/3 glass for my GH1.

So chalk me up to the camp of "use as many cameras as you want, as long as they are all the same".

Chris Bryan March 8th, 2012 12:20 PM

Hey Jeff, do you have a link for the Panasonic 45mm f 1.8? I found an Olympus 45mm f 1.8, but the Panasonic I see is f 2.8. Thanks!