Native micro 4/3 lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Native micro 4/3 lens

Hello again,

Just wondering what is the fastest native micro 4/3 lens that you are using? I'm replacing some gear and going 100% GH2 this season and I've got to pick up a couple of lenses.

Thanks!
Chris Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Native micro 4/3 lens

Prime or zoom?
Steve Slattery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #3
Inner Circle

See post below for correction, left out the Voightlander in this post.

Based on my limited knowledge, I think the the fastest prime is the Pana 25mm F/1.4 followed by the Panasonic 20mm F/1.7, then the 45mm F/1.8, and lastly the wonderful Olympus/Zuiko 12mm F/2.0.

Olympus makes two F/2.0 zooms that will work with beautifully with the camera, but they cost around $2500 each. Used with a Panasonic adapter these lenses work as if they were made for the camera, but focus will not be as fast as with the primes. See the Olympus website for more information. If you''ve got the money, they superb lenses, I would love to have either one of them.

I have owned and used all of the primes listed above, and they are all excellent choices. The 25mm is the logical choice for wedding work, but I couldn't live without any of them, except the 20mm which I sold recently. The 12mm is best for handheld work and is my favorite.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Isn't there a Voightlander 25mm F/0.95 for m/4/3? I do believe there is. I forget if it's 4/3 or M4/3s, but that would be the fastest lens, and the others I listed would then fall in line.

Also check the lens chart here http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...nnect/gh2.html to investigate third party lenses such as the Sigma for Olympus mount 30mm F/1.4. I personally don't recommend anything but M/4.3 lenses and some Olympus 4/3 lenses, but there are other shooters that will disagree.
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff,

With the Pana 25mm F/1.4 don't you have to be right on top of the couple for the shoot if you want anything besides a full body shot? What would you say is the lens that ends up staying on your camera for most of the day?
Old March 9th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I see the voigtlander here:

Voigtlander Voigtland ba259m Nokton 25mm F/0.95 Micro Four Thirds Lens
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Chris the 25mm is the other way around. You have to be further away if you want a full body shot. With the 2X crop factor it's a 50mm on FF. I've got the 25 and love it, also the 45 f2.8 and love that one too. The 25 is more useful, as the 45 makes a great portrait lens, if you have the room.
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Chris, the 25mm is my most used lens.
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #9
Regular Crew

My top lenses are the Nokton 25mm f/0.95, Olympus 14-35 f/2.0, Olympus 35-100 f/2.0 and Nikon 50mm f/1.4
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 09:16 PM   #10
New Boot

Can i ask why you are going full GH2 and not say full Canon or another brand... Just wondering what your thoughts are on why you like it better verse the competition out there. Also are you hacking your gh2's?
Andrew Klokow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:01 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Outside of the Nokton, there aren't many native m4/3 lenses to choose from that are fast. It is probably a safer bet to go Nikon mount or something that will future proof your lenses, or at least have a better chance at re-selling them down the road if needed. Nikon lenses can be used on just about any other camera out there besides Canon's. A huge plus of m4/3 is that you can use pretty much any lens available with the right adapter. In my opinion the lumix lenses don't really make the footage pop either. Say you decided to go fs100, F3 or d800 down the road, you'd be covered with the Nikon lenses. Lenses are one investment that actually hold their value, so it's always a safe bet to invest in good glass. Bodies come and go, but lenses will last for years and years if you purchase the right ones.
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Inner Circle

You're right that there aren't "many" Josh, but the 12mm 25mm and 45mm are all fast and cover a lot of ground. The color rendition of each of these three lenses are natural and excellent.

I've used expensive legacy lenses like the Canon FD 85mm F/1.2L, and yes it's a nice lens, but other than that specific focal length, which is useless 99% of the time for my purposes, the Lumix fast primes are a much more effective and sensible solution for the average shooter.

For specific reasons third party lenses can fill a gap, and save money too, but I believe the original poster shoots weddings, which I suspect why he inquired about M4/3 lenses. They just make sense for run and gun situations, at least in my experience.

No electronic controls with a lens = useless to me, but as I've said before there are plenty of people using fully manual lenses with great results.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques