DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   groom pockect audio recorder? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/506138-groom-pockect-audio-recorder.html)

Osmany Tellez March 15th, 2012 09:04 PM

groom pockect audio recorder?

excuse me if this is a way to asked question...hope not so much..or easy answer from you.

i have zoom H-4 recorder but to big for pockect...

i have read many times about iRivers..and lapel...

now..up to date..what will you recomend for this job?
anything new or still iRiver?
lapel wired?

please, if you don't mind sharing the models..

thanks so much and hope not inconvinience.

Mark Von Lanken March 15th, 2012 10:12 PM

Re: groom pockect audio recorder?

You can probably find the answer if you do a search for audio recorder. There are many good choices on the market today.

I use a Yamaha Pocketrack c24. It's about $150. It's very small, has 2Gb of internal memory and you can add a micro SD card as well. It has a pop out USB jack so you can transfer the files off of the internal memory, or you can also remove the Micro SD card for a faster transfer. It uses a single AAA battery that lasts for a long time.

I have heard good things about Giant Squid mics, but years ago I started using Azden EX-503 lapel mics with my mini Disc recorders, and I have continued to use them to this day. They sound decent and are only about $20. I am certainly open to suggestions on other lapel mics, but the EX-503s do sound good and you it's tough to get a good sounding lapel mic for $20.

Nigel Barker March 16th, 2012 03:04 AM

The Zoom H1 is perfect for this situation. It's under $100 (or local equivalent) & runs all day off one AA battery. We get great results with cheap lav mics. These recorders are also useful in other situations as the built-in mics are decent quality too so you can stash the recorder anywhere near where you want to record (singer speaker etc).

Peter Rush March 16th, 2012 04:36 AM

These are great - I have 3 on the go - they are discontinued but you can pick em up on ebay for about £70

Olympus - WS-311M

And these mics do the job for me £25

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATR3350 Omnidirectional Condenser Lavalier Microphone

Pete

David J. Payne March 16th, 2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1721226)
The Zoom H1 runs all day off one AA battery.

you've got better batteries than me then!

Nigel Barker March 16th, 2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Payne (Post 1721258)
you've got better batteries than me then!

A Duracell easily lasts 8+ hours. I seem to recall that there was a bad batch of H1s that drained the battery even when switched off. Zoom replaced these defective models on request.

David J. Payne March 16th, 2012 08:09 AM

ah I see. Do you know any way of checking if they're affected (ie serial no) or is it just try it and see?

Nigel Barker March 16th, 2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Payne (Post 1721264)
ah I see. Do you know any way of checking if they're affected (ie serial no) or is it just try it and see?

I Googled this for you. Seems like it was a year or two ago but there is a reply from a guy in the UK who had his H1 replaced Zoom H1 Battery Drain? CheesyCam Korg are the UK distributor & where you get support SAMSON AUDIO UK :: Tech Support - Wireless Mics, Studio Equipment & PA

Ana Conlon April 5th, 2012 04:02 PM

I would second Nigel suggestion of the Zoom H1 with a lav mics. It’s small enough to fit into a pocket. I currently looking at sticking belt clip on to one of my Zooms for this very job. I bought 3 zoom for recording during the ceremony based on the advice I received here and it’s worked out well for me.

Sigmund Reboquio April 5th, 2012 04:52 PM

Tascam DR8 (the H1 counterpart) is what i have been using vs the H1.
H1 is too fat to fit on the pocket

this one is the best choice for this situation

hope it helps

Long Truong April 5th, 2012 05:28 PM

Micing the groom is one thing. But has anyone found the best setup for brides?

Rob Cantwell April 5th, 2012 09:19 PM

Hi i'm very new to this scene, i was thinking the same thing re the bride! also i would be worried that I cant monitor the audio especially if it's in someone's pocket, has anyone experienced problems with lav mikes picking up rustling noise from clothing etc. I had considered this solutiion but eventually went for a wireless mike system.

Jonathan Lau April 5th, 2012 11:53 PM

I've only shot a couple weddings and haven't done this yet, but you could plug the headphone jack of the sound board into one of the inputs on your Zoom and that way you can record all audio that comes out of the speakers?

John Knight April 6th, 2012 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long Truong (Post 1725372)
Micing the groom is one thing. But has anyone found the best setup for brides?

Bride voice should pickup on the grooms mic. Don't even think about trying to mic a bride.

Chris Harding April 6th, 2012 05:14 AM

A neat trick with the groom's lav is to position it a bit lower down on his jacket lapel..just a small amount so the distance from his mouth is a little bit further and then audio from the priest/officiant and the bride will be slightly low still but you can raise the gain a bit for that without having the groom's voice peaking into the red which it would do if the lav was right at the top of his lapel!!!

If you are brave enough to mic a bride, Gaint Squid used to make a white mic with white cable too...maybe you would have to hook the transmitter on one of the hoops inside her dress ...I haven't ever tried it of course!!! The norm at a Church wedding is just mic the groom, if the priest is going to stand right off to one side then a mic on him is needed and lastly a mic at the lectern for readings. I normally get away with two radio mics in Churches as our priest are quite happy to deliver their sermons either from the lectern or stand close to the couple.

Chris