DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   shooting receptions with ex1r (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/506363-shooting-receptions-ex1r.html)

Jim Stamos March 25th, 2012 02:34 AM

shooting receptions with ex1r

has anyone shooting receptions with this camera had hot audio . i have my audio set on agc high and limiter on.
you guys shooting with these settings ?agc on low?
hard to believe it would be that bad on a camera this good, not that the on cam mic should be great.
my dsr300 mic handled loud music at receptions no problem.
if i go with an on camera mic, who is using what and getting good audio?

Dustin Moore March 25th, 2012 05:24 AM

Re: shooting receptions with ex1r

On the EX1 there was a menu setting for a per-channel pre-fader/outside
control gain. You might want to check that menu and lower the gain.

Jeff Harper March 25th, 2012 09:51 AM

Jim, if I may suggest, do look at some shotgun microphones, the difference is significant and will blow away your on camera mic. You would be pleased with the difference, and your customers would be much happier also.

Go here: All Things Audio Forum at DVinfo.net and look around at the threads for shotgun microphones. Many people have asked for advice on microphones there and you'll find more information than you ever wanted about the choices.

Colin Rowe March 25th, 2012 10:52 AM

When are you getting problems, during the disco/music etc ? Hot audio is always manageable. Turn off AGC and adjust audio manually. You will need to do a level check before recording. The inbuilt mic is going to be a better bet for loud music. Use shotgun and radio mics for the speeches etc. The only way to get good audio is to have total control over it. I use an EX1 regularly, and have never had a problem with audio. The inbuilt mic is excellent for non specific, ambient sound.

Jeff Harper March 25th, 2012 12:39 PM

Colin, a few years ago, I felt the same way about on camera mics being sufficient at receptions especially with the FX1000, which has a very good onboard mic. I now strongly prefer shotguns even for receptions with loud music. With my camera running with AGC on, distortion isn't an issue. Frequency response with a decent shotgun is superior and the sound is fuller, I would never go back, but that is just me.

Jim Stamos March 25th, 2012 03:36 PM

jeff are you shooting with the ex? what mic are you using?

Jeff Harper March 25th, 2012 03:44 PM

Jim, no I'm using DSLRs and a Canon videocamera. Onboard audio is outstanding with the Canon, best I've heard in my limited experience, but I still use a shotgun and it really is better.

I use several mics, but for the Canon I use a Rode Videomic ($159) but I removed the shoe mount and put in in the mic holder like a regular shotgun, works extremely well for the money. You'd better off probably just looking at a regular shotgun I'm sure.

Colin Rowe March 25th, 2012 04:36 PM

I guess its just the way we are used to working. I dont, and never have used auto anything. Using AGC, is to me just like using auto exposure, focus, white balance etc. I cant work unless I have total control over every aspect of the camera, its just the way I was trained to use cameras. The inbuilt mic on the EX1 is very good and the sound is very controllable. I would never dream of using it for crucial dialogue. Radio mic or shotgun, off camera and very close to the speaker every time for that purpose . But for loud music, the inbuilt mic on an EX1 is fine. Not having control of the audio input is, to me, like leaving the exposure in auto. I dont trust it, and dont like suprises. I can deal with anything on the camera manually, far more efficiently than any auto function. But hey, we all work differently

Jim Stamos March 25th, 2012 05:01 PM

thanks colin,
that being said, ill just go manual. im not real familiar with the different adjusments i can make while on audio, are there any settings i should set the mic on in manual for the loud music? i know theres a trim and gain setting
thx

Colin Rowe March 25th, 2012 05:37 PM

Jim. Try a test recording with one channel set to auto and the other in manual, just tweak the control on the manual channel until you get a good level on the meter, and good sound through your headphones. There are no hard and fast settings, it all depends on the mic you are using. I am not, for one second suggesting that it is the right or wrong way of doing things, ie, all manual, its just the way I have always worked. By setting the channal trim to a lower value you will decrease volume, Just play with the level controls until it sounds right, for you, and looks good on the meter. The 1 channel auto and the other manual is said to be good working practice by some, can't disagree with that, gives you a reasonable safety net if you get the manual setting wrong.