Haven't posted a clip in a while.... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 16th, 2005, 07:14 AM   #31
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
I love the camera movement throughout the piece. How much of it is done by moving the camera and how much of it is done in editing? It looks like you move the letterbox window up and down quite a bit which I really like. I just got done experimenting a bit with that and I'm surprised at how well it works. Do you zoom in to the footage and move side to side as well?

Also, do you give clients letterboxed 4:3 DVDs or do you do a 16:9 anamorphic render?

Your work looks absolutely fabulous by the way.
I'd have to say 90% of it is actual camera movment. I don't move the letter box up and down too much- more often I'll do a slight zoom or pull...ie the wide shot pulling out after vows (2:55). That was originally a static shot.

It's always delivered as 4:3 letterboxed. The only piece that is letterboxed, however, is the highlights. The rest of the wedding is standard 4:3 w/o crop.

Thanks for the kind words.
Old September 16th, 2005, 08:05 AM   #32
Major Player

What does the entire package consist of? Is it just a "Highlights" piece and a bunch of unedited raw footage? I want to start doing wedding video stuff here in Central Florida, but I don't really know what the final package should consist of.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:36 PM   #33
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Kingston
What does the entire package consist of? Is it just a "Highlights" piece and a bunch of unedited raw footage? I want to start doing wedding video stuff here in Central Florida, but I don't really know what the final package should consist of.
The highlights piece is only the last 3-5 minutes of the video recaping the entire day. An average wedding video of mine will run 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours. It includes bridal prep, full ceremony, photo-session montage, and reception activities.
Old September 16th, 2005, 09:43 PM   #34
Regular Crew

hi Glenn...
This may be somewhat "off-topic" but since it seems like everybody or should I say almost everybody here likes to be achieve the same type of video you do...perhaps you can mention here what kind of software you use together with vegas?

Also, how do you set your color-correction? Is this something standard or do you adjust for every event you do since your videos always comes out like they were all shot together. Warm and just the feel it has.
Old September 19th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #35
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joven OHara
hi Glenn...
This may be somewhat "off-topic" but since it seems like everybody or should I say almost everybody here likes to be achieve the same type of video you do...perhaps you can mention here what kind of software you use together with vegas?

Also, how do you set your color-correction? Is this something standard or do you adjust for every event you do since your videos always comes out like they were all shot together. Warm and just the feel it has.
The only other software I used is Sound Forge...and it's only occassionally. The audio filters I run in Sound Forge can be run in Vegas as well- I just open up the audio in Sound Forge because it's somewhat easier to work within some of the filters in Forge.

Regarding my color correction- I start by trying to get the most neutral flattest image possible out of the camera. I underexpose the majority of my footage a hair and bring back the highlights in post. I find this gives me more latitude in post. The filters I apply to each clips are the same for every highlight piece, at least for now...until I get tired of them. Levels, Color Corrector, and Glow.

Levels to adjust the exposure.
Color Corrector to pop the chroma and adjust any color casts
Glow to diffuse highlights and give a softer more etheral quality to the imagery

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques