wedding video class for brides at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 26th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

wedding video class for brides

I'll be presenting an educational class directed to brides who have signed up. The objective of the classs is to educatre a bride on the subject of, why should I choose to have my wedding on video? And why should I choose to hire a professional?

Any creative ideas on how to present this subject? Any creative presentation tools? Any points of interest that need to be included? Any topics that I should avoid?

Any ideas at all?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
Bob Kreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: wedding video class for brides

Is this 'class' a part of a bigger seminar of classes?

If not)
If a bride wasn't planning on getting a video, why would she attend a class to be talked into one? Your asking for someone to spend time to basically hear a sales pitch.

You might want to partner with a few wedding planners and a few other vendors and create a more educational class that just happens to feature your videos. Get the other vendors to mention how important the video really is.

If it is)
Have an actual past client come in and do the talking for you. The bride can give a real testimonial of your wedding videos and how it was so much better than what she expected and couldn't dream of not having one.

We've done a few where we asked the past clients a couple questions in front of the audience, and they sold it a lot better than we ever could have,
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Call it a Studio Open House, a Q&A session, a Video Presentation or whatever other terms you want, but if your goal is to convince them how important it is to invest in your video services, I personally wouldn't call it an "educational class"

If you insist on using the word "education" as a disguise for your sales pitch, at least give them something that will allow them to go home without feeling like they haven't learned anything new. Whether it's some useful tips for their wedding, some sets of skills, some ideas or suggestions, etc.
Long Truong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #4
Major Player

get some really dodgy, blurry wedding footage and run it alongside really good quality stuff. Anyone considering getting their wedding done would surely see the point eh?

if you search Vimeo, theres a few clips of couples regrets at not getting a Wedding Video done! perhaps you could have that running as your potential customers are passing by.

I remember reading someplace too about a reluctant Bride who eventually did have a video done and was expressing her thanks because her father (i think) had passed away soon after and that video became a treasure for her and her family.

R
Rob Cantwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
I remember reading someplace too about a reluctant Bride who eventually did have a video done and was expressing her thanks because her father (i think) had passed away soon after and that video became a treasure for her and her family.
Don't think you should ever use this as a reason for brides to have their wedding filmed (Like; "you"ll never know who dies right after you wedding so be sure you get a videographer!") but I happened to be in this situation beginning this year, the brother of the groom gave a 20 minute funny but very personal speech during the reception talking about his brother that got married and the guy died 2 weeks after the wedding in a car accident. First thing the bride did one day after the accident was to call me to assure I had that speech on tape and asked if I could make a seperate dvd with that speech only as a "gift" for that guys wife to remember him by, I still get goosebumps thinking about it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for all your input.

Anything more comes to mind, please post.
Bob Kreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Bob

To be honest, after last weekend's wedding I'd love to have an education class on where to best place the bridal party for the ceremony (like NOT in front of a huge glass window with the sun streaming in) plus an education class for photographers would be good too..."this is a video camera on a tripod, if you back into it just one more time the videographer will unleash his fury"

Now, seriously, surely you simply want to convince a bride that a wedding video is a good thing and worth getting?? Is the idea of having an education class so they can sign up afterwards??? I would have thought that just to convince them it's a good idea would be an online video??? There are a few on YouTube already ..."why we should have had a wedding video" ...it was done by a videographer so why not find a couple who didn't have a video and interview them and post the video online???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

A room full of brides could be a real nightmare, one or two bridezillas will drive everyone nuts.

I don't know how big Keenewick is but what happens if a couple of divorcees run into each other.
Or there's going to be a shotgun wedding and the brides father turns up :)

It sounds like you'll be doing this anyway, it should be easy to present 'bad' and 'good' video examples and maybe get commissions from local pro outfits you recommend. Engage the services of a local radio or TV personality to present a fun segment about videos.
Include an Asian class with Chinese and Indian presenters.

You could become a wedding video broker and include the feature where later, couples bring you their ideas and video quotes for your advice.

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; April 30th, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Equal Opportunity Offender

I haven't done too many weddings, but one comment from a bride that struck me was that:

On their wedding day they are so busy with the task of simply getting married. It was only when they were able to watch the wedding video later that they were able to finally enjoy their wedding.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:04 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Nothing beats showing them what they'll miss if they don't.
Also to show them the bigger picture. They might think they don't need it now, but what about 10 years, 40 years time?

And as suggested, show them what it would be like if you have someone non-professional do it. If you're relying on a family member or friend, they don't get to have a good time and as passionate as they are, unless they themselves are a professional, the quality just won't be there.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:12 AM   #11
Major Player

That's a great idea. Make it a tea. Catered. Food vendors might be interested in a collaboration, as well as a florist and table/chair rental. You need a good schmoozer to circulate through the crowd and talk to each attendee about their plans, build excitement, etc. Have a drawing for a prize and include an opt-in for email newsletter or other info, as well as an opt-in for "Please contact me re my upcoming wedding". You should come away with quite a few leads. Then you can follow up in a week or two with a phone call and ask them how their plans are going.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques