Professional Indemnity Cover at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 8th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Professional Indemnity Cover

I know it's been discussed a few years ago but I wonder who takes this out - I'm about to renew my insurance and wonder if it's worth it - I've never had a problem and don't foresee one but....

Thoughts please?

Cheers

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Professional Indemnity Cover

Hi Peter

I still have it...it accounts for nearly half of my gear insurance to include liability of $5M but better safe than sorry. Dunno about the UK but Aon Insurance here do a Photographer package which is a sorta all-in-one and it costs me around $60 a month which is not bad and it's tax deductable here too!!

The problem is that all you need is one old granny to trip over your tripod leg and break her hip and you are sued for millions!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Chris - No I have public liability insurance (£1million) in case of that happening - what I'm talking about is professional indemnity - where basically the client does not like (for whatever reason) the finished product or, in legal terms 'delivered work not to a professional standard' or negligence on my part (loosing the mini-dv tapes of the wedding)
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 10:58 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You need it. It costs very little & covers you against occurrences like you having a car accident on the way to the wedding so that you get sued for not turning up & then you have to pay for the couple to re-stage their wedding so that they have the video that you contracted to deliver. It covers legal fees & damages. Having professional indemnity insurance is all part of being a professional & is one way for clients to differentiate between a professional & an amateur cowboy operator.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Well you are correct Nigel but my contract (drawn up by a solicitor) and other's I have seen, limit my liability to a full refund in event of Force Majeure etc.

Reading other threads on this and other forums it seems some take up indemnity insurance and some don't

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques