does anyone use the Sony NEX FS100 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 11th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: does anyone use the Sony NEX FS100

@Bill
I think that the video look come from the stock lens and maybe the use of the 60I instead of 24p.
I have seen many clips from this camera that look like video but seen so many other that had the film look when not using the stock lens with a 24p.

@Aaron What makes you use the 7D rather then FS100 for you wedding work?
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #17
Regular Crew

The FS100 is just too big and bulky when I'm getting closeups around the bride. I also don't care for the button configuration or layout on the FS100. When I'm in a run and gun situation I want the shutter, iris, and iso controls close by just like on my 7D.
Aaron Almquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #18
Major Player

What as far as the image itself. Which one of the two you like better?
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:00 PM   #19
Major Player

DAn,
I can't afford the body much less a lens :) I'll stick with my 5D 60D combo for now. Thanks for posting this. Was it 60i?
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #20
Regular Crew

@ Dror

The image out of the FS100 spanks any DSLR. Except of course the new Canon 4K 1DC.
Aaron Almquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #21
Major Player

One thing I've noticed from watching FS100 samples online is that it's not a great camera for make-up shots - skin tones seem to have this reddish tint & it's too sharp. The DSLR's are crappy cameras but they are amazing for make-up work, skin looks magical on DSLR's, I'm not sure if the low resolution sensor smudges all the wrinkles away but whatever it does it works. I'd love to see the FS100 used with proper lenses & grading.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #22
Major Player

Nicholas, Check this video for a great make up images from the FS100
Old May 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #23
Major Player

I have shot about 10 weddings so far with the cam. A while back I actually tried trading for an EX 1 or 3 to no avail. If you are coming from a DSLR background then you will probably adjust much quicker and love the camera. I have been transitioning from a Z1U and there has been a definite learning curve with using different lenses, focus, steadiness and manual zooms. All of this has gotten better over the past couple shoots and I am starting to enjoy the camera a little more. I do love the image and when I don't feel rushed I very much love the camera. For corporate work I absolutely love everything about the FS100, it's just the run n gun of weddings that gets me a little flustered and wishing sometimes I had a different cam. After continued use I am sure all of that will go away and I will wonder why I ever questioned trading to begin with.

Here is a video I shot in October, one of the 1st shoots with the cam. I shot 1080 60p at that time. I now have switched over to 30p, like the look much better. This was shot using the 18-200 kit lens and the SONY 16mm 2.8 lens. I will note that after the 1st dance the groom told me no light whatsoever was to be used, (1st time in 18 years of shooting I had ever been told that) thank God I did not have the Z1! For the dancing party shots the gain was on 24db I believe. I honestly was blown away at how good they held up.

Old May 16th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #24
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Glen, the lens begins at f/3.5, that is slow by any standard for wedding work, but I can't argue with you if you've used it successfully. The slowest lens I've used for wedding work was a F/2.8-4.0 and it got through the ceremony ok, but for the reception it was useless most times unless wide open and full wide.

I would seriously research the heck out of low light examples of footage with the lens before purchasing, to be safe.
Yes, the stock lens is slow, but the FS100's low light abilities make up for this, in my experience. The FS can shoot very clean video at 18db. That's just unheard of before this.
Now, I'm not saying the stock lens is the best for this camera, but there's not many other options with the range this lens has - 18-200 zoom is very handy to have in a wedding. I did buy a Tamron 17-50 zoom with constant f2.8 (with a-mount adapter) which I use a lot indoors. But having that 200mm reach is a big benefit of the stock lens.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock View Post
One thing I've noticed from watching FS100 samples online is that it's not a great camera for make-up shots - skin tones seem to have this reddish tint & it's too sharp. The DSLR's are crappy cameras but they are amazing for make-up work, skin looks magical on DSLR's, I'm not sure if the low resolution sensor smudges all the wrinkles away but whatever it does it works. I'd love to see the FS100 used with proper lenses & grading.
Thatīs what my G-Log PP is for. Say goodbye to reddish skin.
Iīm not a huge fan of that typical music video skin look, but I can see itīs use on a wedding.
If you dial down the sharpness in camera, it only takes little post work to make it on par with a DSLR, but with a better resolution.

The FS700 is evevn better at this.

Frank
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques