DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Bags, bags, and more bags. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/507779-bags-bags-more-bags.html)

Jeff Harper May 14th, 2012 10:53 AM

Bags, bags, and more bags.

I need recommendations for a new camera bag. The choices are endless, as I'm sure we all know. I researched this months ago and got a headache after about a week of looking, it's tough online, and there are local shops but the choices here are very limiting.

Here's what I have to carry:

1.Two Canon XA10s video cameras, and would love to be able to leave a shotgun on one of them while carrying.

2. Two small DSLR style cameras (Panasonic GH2) with three additional short lenses.

I have bags to carry my lighting, etc., but I'm thinking I'd like to have a bag that will carry all four cameras. Because they are relatively small, this is surely possible, the trick is to to find one where they are easily accessible, particularly the camera with a shotgun mounted.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Keith Betters May 14th, 2012 11:56 AM

Re: Bags, bags, and more bags.

Please help! I am in a very similar situation as Jeff. I carry like 5 bags into place and its just too much i need to minimize to like 3. I have a 5d, 2 t3i's, and an xa 10. My dslr's and lenses go in one bag, all of my audio recorders, lights and cables go in another. My xa 10 goes into another, and my tripods and monopods go in another. Last but not least I carry a separate bag for the steadicam merlin, so it doesn't get banged around and off balance. So in all its just too much. Last year I tried to put all the bags in totes but the totes were just cumbersome and the venues I shoot at would act anal about me having them in the same room as the wedding or reception (to some degree I understand, because they were big and ugly). So I really want to find a bag to where I can put my xa-10, dslr's, audio recorders, and cables and lights into. I know this would be a really heavy bag so one with rollers would be nice. Is this asking to much? I realize it may not be cheap but hauling so many bags around makes being mobile a drag.

Dave Blackhurst May 14th, 2012 02:42 PM

Crazy idea, but It's worked for me in the past - get a rolling ice chest... good "camo" for your gear, unless someone's looking for a tall cold one... definitely not "pretty", but inexpensive, and you can stuff several other bags or cases into it, so you can keep things somewhat organized!

Another more expensive option is one of the old aluminum Sony HVL hard shell cases - fair amount of room, with dividers, and there were several sizes available - usually about right for the smaller videocams (used to pack a set of 4 XR/CX series in one designed for the TRV900, and all the accessories in a second... fairly compact and easy to tote.

Neither suggestion is a "bag", but might be worth consideration...

Dror Levi May 14th, 2012 02:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I was in the same situation until I got the pelican 1610.
It is a great case and it make my life much easier now.
For the mono pod, Tripod and slider you can try this On-Stage SSB6500 Heavy Duty Speaker Stand Bag on eBay!
My 2000 glide cam I feet to a black baby bag

Steve Grimshaw May 14th, 2012 05:17 PM

I am a proud new owner of a Canon XF300 and have been searching for a decent bag since I bought it a few weeks ago. This camera completely thrashed my budget and as a result I have needed to find something on a real shoestring. This information is of absolutely no use if you are outside of the UK, but as I can't believe how clever I am, I thought I would share it with you anyway! T**co are running a promotion at the moment, selling a full range of luggage made by the same people that make the Swiss Army Knives and the quality is "mindblowing". As I don't yet have a huge amount of kit - one of the smaller bags has met my needs. I have just paid under £30 for a "pull along" type case with rigid sides. The inner lining opens up with a zip which has enabled me to fit upholstery foam to the interior for the extra padding required and there are internal straps which anchor the big cam with ease. I think the promotion runs until August 2012 (vouchers required) Amazing quality and very stylish - Every little helps!!

Jeff Harper May 14th, 2012 06:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far, gentlemen. I'm not crazy about the Pelican for me personally, though I admit you've done a nice job customizing it Dror.

I'm looking at this one again for the tenth time. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/611111-REG/Lowepro_LP36034_PWW_Pro_Roller_x300_Case.html

Keith Betters May 14th, 2012 06:47 PM

Wow, Jeff that bag is really awesome! Unfortunately that is more than I have or really want to spend on a bag, lol! Also, I still think I would have to carry an additional bag for my cables and some of my audio gear. I think my max I would spend on a bag would be about $300. I think with my budget I won't find what I'm looking for. It really needs to be a carry all! I think I will just get a bag that can carry my xa 10 and audio gear together and that at least eliminates 1 bag. I think 4 bags with 2 people is more workable than 5. Thanks again though that bag is really awesome with all the features and the tsa lock!

Jeff Harper May 14th, 2012 06:53 PM

Yes Keith it is a nice case, they make smaller versions also:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/611107-REG/Lowepro_LP36033_PWW_Pro_Roller_x200_Case.html

Bill Grant May 14th, 2012 07:11 PM

Jeff,
seems like we could be friends :-) I have the x200 and LOVE it. let me say again LoVe. I can fit my 5d and 60d with lenses, 70-200 all my audio gear and led lights and there's the strap on the side for monopod or slider. love it.

Jeff Harper May 14th, 2012 07:51 PM

Hey Bill, I'm sure we could be, we seem to have some similar gear.

I am thinking hard about both the 200 and 300 cases, I'm not seein' much else out here.

Jeff Harper May 14th, 2012 08:01 PM

Keith, it's available on Ebay for $300, and the buyer seems reputable. Looks like a no brainer. I'm looking closely at it to make sure there are no surprises.

Actually, Adorama sells it on Ebay here, they are reputable and will accept returns. I'm sure the case will be just great, but if it doesn't work out when I put my gear in it, I can return it if needed. The other sellers at the lower price will only accept returns on damaged items, Adorama has a no questions asked return policy, just like B&H.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lowepro-Pro-...#ht_4576wt_882

Jeff Harper May 14th, 2012 08:40 PM

Got the case for $279. They will accept offers, which I made and it went through almost immediately. So with shipping it's $300 and all done.

Keith Betters May 14th, 2012 09:36 PM

Thanks a bunch Jeff. I think I will order one at weeks end. I'm falling in love with it the more I look at it. I think if I minimize my setup a little I can make it work. I carry extra stuff that I never use, but maybe I can keep some seldom used items in a bag in my car if I happen to need it. I have watched about 3 reviews on YouTube and Vimeo and it really seems to fit the bill! Very versatile!

Jeff Harper May 14th, 2012 09:55 PM

Keith, I have watched a few videos also. I wanted to get the smaller case to save money, but at $300 the 300 is a lot of case. I've read almost entirely positive reviews at B&H, but one buyer complained about the zippers, but we'll see.

The support thingy for standing the case at an angle looks really cheesy, and the above complaining reviewer said it is just cardboard. If I like and keep the case I will see if I can substitute the cardboard piece with plexiglass or some such thing, though truth be told I'd probably never use the support anyway. I really like the idea of using the handle as a camera support, very cool, though again I can't be sure under what circumstances I would actually use that feature.

I particularly like the concept of being able to remove the bag from the frame and then placing it on the other side of the handle. In theory I could place another smaller camera bag in the front and thereby carry two bags at once, but we'll see how that works in actual practice.

The fact that the bag is available for around $300 makes it appear the markup on camera bags is pretty high. I'm glad I didn't pay $429 for it.

Keith Betters May 14th, 2012 10:34 PM

Hey Jeff, I couldn't pass it up either. I made an offer of $260 and they accepted! Makes me wish I would have offered less, lol. I can't wait to get it, I think it will be a great addition to the team and it will make moving in and out of venues a lot easier. Thanks again Jeff for the research and sharing that with me!

Also, yes you are totally correct about the markup on bags. That was one of the reasons I didn't feel comfortable paying over $300 for one. Just didn't seem like the value was there.