DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   I'm not sure I know what to say... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/507968-im-not-sure-i-know-what-say.html)

Paul Mailath May 22nd, 2012 08:46 PM

I'm not sure I know what to say...

I was way late with a particular wedding edit and sent this email to the couple

I'm so glad you liked it - after all the stressing & obsessing over things I really think it's worthwhile if I know that there are couples who can relive that day in 2 or 3 or 5 years time by watching something I produced.

3 copies? - no problem,

There is also the matter of the final payment of $300 - on which I propose a deal.

I'll waive the payment (it's taken way too long to get this finished) as long as you blow the money:

you can't pay bills
you can't buy groceries
no shoes, shirts or accessories, nothing permanent

go out for a meal, rent a speed boat, hire a spit roast for a big BBQ with some friends, hire an in-house masseuse - blow the money on something you'll both enjoy.

and then... let me know what you did.

6 weeks went by and then this..

Thank you so much Paul. I would have replied earlier to tell you what we got up to.... But we had to wait.... You'll see....

We went away for a lovely weekend to Mxxxx here near Bxxxxx, up in the hinterlands.... It was a beautiful and relaxing weekend.... And as it turns out that.... That relaxing weekend away, on your generosity and suggestion, has given us the most precious gift of all... We're now expecting our first baby!

We're both so happy and excited. Thank you again for your wonderful coverage of our wedding.... And for this amazing story to one day share with our child....
Thank you.

while we stress and obsess about the minutiae, life moves inexorably forward - is it too early to have a drink?

Chris Hurd May 22nd, 2012 09:31 PM

Re: I'm not sure I know what to say...

That's awesome! Well done, Paul!

Jeff Harper May 22nd, 2012 09:44 PM

Yes, well done Paul, an excellent example of how to treat customers. Thank you for sharing!

Don Bloom May 23rd, 2012 05:40 AM

2 thumbs up! Great way to treat a client. Great way to treat anyone!

George Kilroy May 23rd, 2012 07:24 AM

Two more thumbs from me. I'm a believer in working for the client, if I don't complete as promised I wouldn't expect them to just sit tight waiting for me to get my act together, whatever the reason. I've rarely had a late delivery and certainly not moths late. I aim to turn things around within two weeks and usually do, however if I did have a situation like Paul's I wish to think that I'd be so generous and even half as imaginative in what I'd offer them.

Peter D. Parker May 23rd, 2012 11:45 AM

I see a job opportunity here......do they want the birth filming :)

Peter

Chris Harding May 25th, 2012 05:29 AM

Nice Paul!!

A simple gesture like that might have put you $300 out of pocket but think what it did for your reputation...who is she going to tell her friends to use for video????

If you had gone the other route and delivered late and insisted on money it would have done a lot of harm and definately no new referrals.

It's nice to see some customer service in this world for a change..brides are still astonished when I do a personal delivery of their DVD set to their home.... What goes around comes around..and it works both ways too!!

Chris

Jordan Brindle May 31st, 2012 03:57 PM

Seems like you didn't save them any money at all... You just put them $800,000 ( on average) in the hole between the time that kids born and it turns 18! Haha, just kidding. Awesome man, very commendable and what a turnout! :)

Jordan Brindle May 31st, 2012 03:59 PM

Oops double post.

Warren Kawamoto May 31st, 2012 07:07 PM

That is awesome! Now in return, they must name their son "Paul," or "Paulette" if it's a girl.

Rob Cantwell May 31st, 2012 08:06 PM

nice one

kudos!!!