DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Shooting video and photo at events...tips? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/508045-shooting-video-photo-events-tips.html)

Travis Wilber May 25th, 2012 05:44 PM

Shooting video and photo at events...tips?

Does anyone ever shoot both video and photos at an event simultaneously with the DLSR's? I do primarily video, but I have clients that have wanted me to cover some of their gatherings and have me make a 2 minute video, but also takes photos for them also.

Do you use two cameras or just switch between video mode and photo mode so you can use flash and review pics?

Allan Black May 25th, 2012 06:10 PM

Re: Shooting video and photo at events...tips?

2 cameras .. definately.

Cheers.

Peter Riding May 26th, 2012 03:51 AM

I do this frequently.

A big problem you'll have is that at some moments you need both video and stills coverage at exactly the same time. So switching between modes on one body or trying to carry two bodies - neither will work. You'll need a video cam on a tripod or lightstand so that you can let it run whilst you shoot the stills. Or better still have two of them. Or have an assistant :- )

It is feasible to have both a flashgun and a continuous light on one rig e.g. by having the flashgun in the dSLR hotshoe and the continuous light attached to a camera bracket preferably overhead angled slightly downwards. But not easy to handle.

If the event is quite fast and fluid the client needs to be realistic about what is achievable. maybe even - heaven forbid - restage some bits for the "missing" cam if necessary.

Pete

Dave Blackhurst May 26th, 2012 02:36 PM

A couple thoughts...

First, it's hard to think about getting good shot composition for stills and video at the same time, particularly if you shoot "portrait" some of the time <wink>!

Second, it's possible to have two cameras slung around your neck, and switch back and forth - awkward, but possible, as long as you don't have too much in the way of attachments hanging off. There are actually some rigs I've seen to mount one camera on top of another, so in theory you just point the rig and cross your fingers.... It's EASIER to have a second camera (probably the video) on a tripod.

Third, you might consider what the delivery medium is - if you're shooting 24/60p, perhaps you can pull acceptable "stills" by frame grabbing? Done it more than once, works OK, as long as you're not doing big prints.

Lastly, a LOT depends on the camera - a lot of the small video cameras will allow you to squeeze off a few stills "simultaneously" (WHILE the video is running), as do some of the consumer level "still" cameras that will shoot video. I am not sure, but I don't think you have that truly "simultaneous" option on the full size SLR's (I do know my new Sony doesn't... darn), so there is a practical limit on doing both.

Mike Beckett May 26th, 2012 03:24 PM

Speaking from personal experience... if you are using two cameras, beware that the DSLR shutter sound is quite invasive and will be picked up on your video sountrack, unless you have your mic nowhere near the stills camera.

Also, at least on my Canon, the video will pause for a split second while you take a still.

Rob Cantwell May 31st, 2012 08:05 PM

on one of my video cams theres a 'smile detect' feature that, when enabled will take 7 Mp stills when it detects smiles, never actually used it at a wedding but did test it, works too
:-)
trying to do still and video all at the one time could get very confusing for a full wedding shoot lasting about 9/10 hours!!