DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Custom WB is too green sometimes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/508170-custom-wb-too-green-sometimes.html)

John Crawford May 30th, 2012 10:02 PM

Custom WB is too green sometimes

For the past few years I run into this every now and then at weddings where I'm in a room and if I'm using the custom white balance, there is too much green tint, but if I switch to auto it will add some more magenta (or whatever) and it looks better balanced. I used to shoot with an XHA1s and I think there was an in camera setting to fine tune the white balance however I never used it. Since last year I've been shooting weddings with 7D or 5D's and it's usually the odd church or reception hall lobby where the lighting isn't great looking.

I don't think there is any way to correct this while shooting -- overall it is easy enough to fix in post, but it'd be nice if there was a way. Does anyone know why auto white balance is more accurate in those instances whereas no matter where I set my colour temperature for custom kelvin it has this green tint to it? It's almost like I need that tint slider in Lightroom for photos where you can mix between green and magenta.

Thanks.

Long Truong May 30th, 2012 11:01 PM

Re: Custom WB is too green sometimes

Hey John,

Have you tried using the WB Shift? This will allow you to better balance your colours in-camera on top of using Kelvin for the temparature.

Long

Nigel Barker May 31st, 2012 02:28 AM

Setting the WB to degrees Kelvin is not the same as doing a custom WB with a grey card or Expodisc for as you already discovered it makes no allowance for the green/magenta shift.

Roger Van Duyn May 31st, 2012 07:00 AM

Instead of using a white or grey card, use a very pale blue green card to white balance. This will give a warmer (think glow of sunrise) look.

For the opposite effect, use a pale orange or peach colored card to achieve a cooler (bluish) look.

You don't need to use cards, swatches of fabric etc. work. Browse through a craft store. You'll find something suitable.

Long Truong May 31st, 2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1735958)
Setting the WB to degrees Kelvin is not the same as doing a custom WB with a grey card or Expodisc for as you already discovered it makes no allowance for the green/magenta shift.

Hi Nigel,

I normally combine Kelvin + WB shift and it works pretty well together. I think that with some good practice, it can allow you to dial very quickly on the fly without having to use any cards for custom WB. Especially for weddings when you sometimes have to run from one room to another and need to shoot right away.

John Crawford June 3rd, 2012 09:25 PM

Thanks guys. I use gear provided for me by a company, so I'll look into the WB shift on the 7D. For home use I have a T2i with Magic Lantern and I see the option in the menu -- good to know. The filming is very quick and I don't always have time to adjust with cards (i.e. every weekend is a game of beat the bride to the church). I'm usually pretty good at dialing in with Kelvin, I think the shift can help me with those troublesome spots.