Projecting Hindu Wedding Ceremony onto Large Screen? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 18th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Major Player

Projecting Hindu Wedding Ceremony onto Large Screen?

I have a client who is having a Indian/Hindu ceremony and wants to know what it would cost to project one or two cameras onto a large screen for a better view of the ceremony. Currently, we shoot everything on our DSLR's so our time limit might prevent us from doing this. I don't know. What would it take as far as Cameras, Switchers, Cables to make this happen. What would be the most affordable way to do a one or a two camera option? I'd love your thoughts and knowledge!
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Projecting Hindu Wedding Ceremony onto Large Screen?

The most cost effective way in this scenario might be to dedicate a single video camera for the projection. While you're projecting though, make sure you're also recording, and use the footage later in post.

Going the route of multiple cameras, switchers, etc will require a small team of technicians to set up and troubleshoot if something goes wrong....something you won't be able to do if you're shooting.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Can this be as simple as connecting a HDMI from say a newer Sony camera to the TV? Or what input would I use?
Old June 19th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #4
Trustee

Yes, you could go hdmi from camera to projector, as long as they are in close proximity to each other. You could always go SD too, using bnc cable for long runs.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Trustee

if you will be outputting to TV, all newer ones have HDMI and it's straight forward, just don't forget to turn off on screen data, but if we're talking projector located in venue, i doubt that, they all have SD projectors and you'll need BNC cable + BNC to RCA female adapter + AV cable for your camera, depending on the camera you might need to enable AV out, in general 100ft cable is enough for 99% of setups.
Old June 19th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Bubba and Warren. I will be using a 60" HDTV on a 7' stand with a 50ft HDMI cable.

Just curious, if I use a HDMI switcher that has enough outputs like this one if I went with two camera? I know they wouldn't be able to monitor the cameras.

: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/770211-REG/KanexPro_HDMX44_HDMI_4_x_4.html
Could I have someone just change from input one to input two by pushing the switcher buttons on the switcher and get a smooth transition from Cam A to Cam B? Or would it flicker or would the screen go blue for instance when pushing the buttons on the switcher?
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Kelly. A long HDMI cable is definately the way to go. I recently used this at a funeral and ran a 30m cable from a wide stationary video camera at the back of the church, outside into a marquee and into an HD projector. Worked a treat.

That switch won't work. (See the customer reviews - "There is a delay in switching - screen is black"

I would definately *Keep It Simple* when doing this, people just want a good clear image without all the wizardry. I've seen some spectacular failures when people try and do multicam live-stream, graphics overlays etc etc and not 100% confident with their gear.
John Knight is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques