Delivery of all videos on youtube? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Delivery of all videos on youtube?

As the whole of the wedding video industry,

do you think that we as an industry should post the full length wedding video on youtube along with the delivery of the DVDs? Now youtube lets you post very long videos, so it seems like something that is so very easy to do with most people in America at least on cable internet it's not too much data.

In essence, this is something that would spread.... If the top 5 wedding videographers in your city did this, then that would trickle down from both clients and competitors to become a norm.
Jeff Dinges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Delivery of all videos on youtube?

I wouldn't do that on YouTube... Vimeo may be. It's just it looks cheap on YouTube. besides, if you have any of the copyright music used, YouTube might reject it too.

What I do is to export the entire DVD to Flash posting it online as well as USB thumbdrive for local playback Make it as an add-on option, or be included in some package.. or use it as a way to get the indecisive clients to sign up.

I like it this way as I have total control of what to show or not (password protected). It also preserve the DVD navigation experience too.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 05:00 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I used to think that YouTube looked too cheap for our videos but it has improved. I guess that as such institutions as the BBC & the British Royal Family now have their own YouTube channels that it's somewhat respectable. The important thing is to create your own channel with a page to your own design & either disable or monitor closely all comments so that you don't get all the dreadful tacky dross that attends most YouTube videos.

TheRoyalChannel - YouTube
BBC - YouTube
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Good point Nigel

After receiving a few tacky comments on a wedding clip "the bride is ugly" ..totally un-necessary and probably teens with nothing better to do, I now disable everything on the 2nd tab in the new uploads interface....that allows you to disable comments, voting, responses etc etc and it keeps the page clean for genuine viewers!!

I embed a custom YouTube Player with thumbnails on the side in my website so brides can pick and choose clips to watch. However the interface makes your video itself quite small ...Is there anything else that you can use (obviously from YT!!) that would allow a bigger viewing area...I was hoping they did a custom player interface with maybe the thumbnails running along the bottom??? so you could have a bigger view screen....Is anyone else running their YT playlist on their website with a custom player???

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I wouldn't do that on YouTube... Vimeo may be. It's just it looks cheap on YouTube. besides, if you have any of the copyright music used, YouTube might reject it too.

What I do is to export the entire DVD to Flash posting it online as well as USB thumbdrive for local playback Make it as an add-on option, or be included in some package.. or use it as a way to get the indecisive clients to sign up.

I like it this way as I have total control of what to show or not (password protected). It also preserve the DVD navigation experience too.
Tacky, can I ask , is the USB playable on both pc and Mac , and how do u go about making a flah file, sorry if it's a silly question., as I am not sure, but I would like to offer my brides a USB.., the worry I had is if it will work on both opperating systems. Thx.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #6
New Boot

Rob

If you have encore you can export your menu and assets as a swf. I've even made a few quick flash websites doing this trick.
Jerry Karvasale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bale View Post
Tacky, can I ask , is the USB playable on both pc and Mac , and how do u go about making a flah file, sorry if it's a silly question., as I am not sure, but I would like to offer my brides a USB.., the worry I had is if it will work on both opperating systems. Thx.
Rob, I'm not TACKY.

I use Encore to export the DVD authoring to Flash. It is playable in both Mac and PC, android too.. just not iPad.
Old June 24th, 2012, 05:13 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Flash doesnt work on ipad!

That is another huge issue, especially with the world going mobile. What is the other option? Mp4 streaming, right? But then you need a way to integrate the menu into this.
Jeff Dinges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I think it is a huge issue if this is the only deliverable method . Mine is an add-on on top of the DVD and bluray distribution. :-)

Yes the world is going mobile but that doesn't mean going ipad only. Ipad owners already aware there are many websites they can't visit. all android users together with the up coming Microsoft Surface tablet will still be able to visit. I do agree it will be a perfect solutions to be viewable on ipad and iPhones too. Hopefully Adobe will add an HTML 5 export inEncore soon.

I think ipad can still playback. .FLV video. If that's the case, I can create an HTML page serves as menu to click to play all the flv files.

Your thought?
Old July 4th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Interesting... exporting the DVD to a flash website.
That would really help for interstate and international clients to view a draft before finalisation on Blu-Ray/DVD.

Back to the OP, I don't think there's a problem with placing up full length films on Youtube. I think the big guys just don't do that because:

1. Music - No doubt, there will be commercial songs used. You can't expect a feature length film for personal use to be just independent music that the couples don't know. However, some couples are fine with us artists to choose the score, a truly original piece of film.

2. Privacy - Not all couples want their entire day shown and the Cinematographer/Videographer/Company might not want to place a feature up because they don't want everyone to see how they edit/piece it together. If you search on Vimeo though, I think there's a couple of feature length wedding films there.

Will the future be delivering our media to Youtube? Probably not. But as Taky has pointed out about the Flash site, going mobile/online might be the future. Look at Apple, they're pushing the death of the DVD/BluRay with their latest gear. I think as the world becomes more technologically advance, things will all be digital and online. Either public or private server based.

But just like photography, there will always be people that want something physical in their hands. Be it a DVD, Blu-Ray, USB, tablet etc, of their memories.
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #11
Major Player

I don't know y'all. I'm considering adding a disk free package for this years bridal show. same stuff just online delivery through vimeo and maybe a USB thumbdrive if they want. they can always add DVDs, but I have no emotional tie to menus or the like... I'm doing 2 things right now. 15 min short form and trailer. both of which could be easily delivered online without disks. and in south Carolina, at least, I won't have to pay sales tax if there's no tangible product.
Bill
Old July 22nd, 2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
I don't know y'all. I'm considering adding a disk free package for this years bridal show. same stuff just online delivery through vimeo and maybe a USB thumbdrive if they want. they can always add DVDs, but I have no emotional tie to menus or the like... I'm doing 2 things right now. 15 min short form and trailer. both of which could be easily delivered online without disks. and in south Carolina, at least, I won't have to pay sales tax if there's no tangible product.
Bill
Bill,

I would think a tax auditor for the state would consider a digital video file to be a "tangible product", no matter how it's delivered. What else would you call it? A service? At least in my state (Louisiana), the only services that don't get sales tax applied are consulting and repair services, and only for the labor. I hope you don't get audited if you plan on side stepping sales tax by delivering product online, I doubt they will agree with you seeing as it will be easy for them not to and they will gladly take your money if they can.
Robert Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 04:03 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Welch View Post
I would think a tax auditor for the state would consider a digital video file to be a "tangible product", no matter how it's delivered.
Uploading a video to YouTube seems to be a service. On the other hand, perhaps the bride and groom would pay more if you promise to not upload the video. In this way they own some sort of exclusive license on work for hire.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:54 PM   #14
Major Player

Robert,
I've checked with the DOR several times about this and digital files are not taxable. I deliver a good many corporate videos and commercials online. its different in every state though, so checking with the state dor is critical. no big deal for me anyway, but just one more step I don't have to go through.
Bill
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:10 AM   #15
Major Player

Surely it's the financial transaction that's the taxable element regardless of there being a physical object or not. If that were the case we could all sell our discs for a nominal $1

I'm neither a tax man nor accountant so best take proper advice. Acting on advice from a forum like this is not wise if it may lead to serious consequences.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques