First civil ceremony at

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 23rd, 2012, 01:48 PM   #1
Major Player
First civil ceremony

I am filming my first civil ceremony and wondering where you suggest I should place my ZOOM H1. It's on a mini tripod, I also have a Rode Shotgun on my 5DMK3.

Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle
Re: First civil ceremony

I would definately go for it in the groom's pocket and a lav on his lapel. You are not going to get very good audio from a recorder on a tripod!! Also more often that not, you can use the groom's body to shield the lav from any wind at outdoor weddings... by slightly adjusting where the groom stands can make a huge difference to what sort of audio you get. I had a beach wedding with a howling gale and by exchanging bride and groom positions, I had the groom with his back to the wind and the lav dead centre (on his tie actually) and it blocked all wind noise which otherwise would have been un-usable!!

Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #3
Major Player

Totally agree. Its paramount that you get your mics as close to the source as possible.
Colin Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Inner Circle

CPC (Farnell) do a pretty decent but very cheap lav mic which will plug in to your Zoom H1 MP33751 - PRO SIGNAL - MICROPHONE, LAVALIER BLACK | CPC
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques