Kinda different montage attempt.... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 15th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #31
Regular Crew

PAT - Well (sheepishly) I looked back and realized I borrowed a bit heavily from one of their templates. Granted I built the whole thing myself and did change quite a bit but I had to agree the similarities were a bit too much. I suppose I was in too much of a hurry back then....shame on me.

We talked about just licensing that design but they already have it licensed in my geographical area so that was not an option. Since that meant having to rework the whole site anyway, I just decided to create a whole new site. Should have that up later this morning (up till 2am last night working on it).

They gracefully gave me plenty of time to make my changes and seem like very good people to work with. I have seen their work in a few different places (Weva for instance) and they seem to have a good rep and solid product.

I hope that answers your question Pat, thanks for sparing me a hassle down the road!

Mike
Mike Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #32
Major Player

Mike,

Geez I feel terrible for you having to change your site.. But I'm glad that you are in the clear. I myself would hope someone would let us know when the RIAA would start suing VO's for use of music in wedding videos or at least take the time to inform fellow board members new or old about possible issues. I do tell myself I mentioned it to protect your investment into your business. But I also feel terrible for doing in on the heels of your awesome montage. Which again is just fantastic..

I'm glad they were receptive to you and offered you time to make changes as needed and they didn't turn around and threaten any legal action, that would have just been a poor decision on their part considering the amount of sites that rip their stuff and here you come along and pony up and bring the issue to them.. They should have given you a discounted site for honesty, as in today's world sometimes that can be attributed to the term "priceless".

I can say that your actions and the road you took was more than admirable then I've seen others who opt for the other road, and hopefully when people search for "Honest Videographers" in this forum they run across this post and see their are still some left..

I tip my hat to you Mr. Mike Cook and applaud your actions.
Pat Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2005, 12:08 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Gosh Pat, that's a little too nice but thanks for the kind words. Karma is out there, gotta keep a heads up for it.

Don't feel bad, I thank you for doing exactly what you inteded - keeping me out of trouble down the road. All's clear now and that is how it ought to be.

Cheers!

Mike
Old September 20th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Mike:

I have downloaded the AE eval and purchased the book (vol 1) you suggested. Can you point me a bit closer in the right direction? Maybe what part of the book I should be reading first?

I watched it again today and it's still absolutely awesome. Does it seem reasonable that I could replace some the images with moving video?

I want to make some of ther pictures "talk" when the camera flies up to them.

Thanks for your help on this,

KIM
Kim Kinser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Kim,

You can easily substitute video for the pictures. As far as where to start with the book, I hate to say it but the beginning would be my suggestion. They do a very good job using the whole building block technique and I don't think you would have a whole lot of luck just jumping forward to the 3D chapter.

As you go through the book you will start to figure out how to do it. The 3D space and camera moves sections would be the most pertinent.

Good luck!

Mike
Old June 28th, 2006, 09:11 PM   #36
New Boot

WOW! I can't look at a cross dissolve the same way again. I'm floored. Theoretically you can retain the project file and swap out different picture/media elements for future clients, correct?
Very nice work.

Yes, I realize I am reviving a 9-month old thread :-)
Dave Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2006, 07:25 PM   #37
Major Player

Yeah.

I remember this one.

That is inspirational, that is.

Well done.

ian
Ian Slessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #38
Major Player

i want to see this montage now...! is it still online anywhere?
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 06:17 PM   #39
Major Player

I'd love to have you repost that piece also, Mike. For anyone looking for AE training, I highly recommend the Total Training set. Although I was familiar with AE and motion graphics in general, their 12 dvd set was thorough, clear and full of great shortcuts and ideas. Worth it's weight in motion graphics gold...
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #40
Major Player

Hi Guy's....I am Mike's partner and we have decided not to post our photo montages for the time being. We have found some other's who copied our work (montage's) and are passing them off as their own creation. A couple bad apples left a bad taste in our mouth.

Thanks for your interest.
Joe
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:14 PM   #41
Major Player

No sweat Joe, I understand. You could always throw a semi trans logo on top of it to prevent a rip off, but I understand the bad feelings.
Vin
Vincent Croce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques