Uber fussy customers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 10th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Uber fussy customers

Hi - So I've got this really fussy customer who keeps coming back to me with requests to edit the audio: 'Can you remove the feint siren in the background?' 'Can you remove the mobile phone going off in the congregation?' 'the grooms sniffs quite a lot - can you remove it?'.....and more!!!!

It's only happened a few times but, as I'm quite obliging I make the changes, but I wonder how far I should go as It can really eat into my time, especially in this busy period. I like to do it as it makes for a happier customer - what are your thoughts?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Uber fussy customers

I would say something along the lines of "Unfortunately, editing the sound to that degree is a process that takes time, and is generally not something we do in our wedding packages. If you would like to make more changes to the audio I can offer to fulfill your list of: (Insert siren, blah blah here), for a discounted fee of only $50 (Or whatever you feel like)."

That way they have to decide what they really want edited, and at least you're making something off it, and I don't think it makes you look like the bad guy when you put it something like that.
Old July 10th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Major Player

The most difficult one I had was a few years ago. It was a stifling hot day (remember those) and the country church had all of the doors open. Right across the way from the main door the person who lived opposite, a narrow country lane's width away, decided that was the time to get out his extremely noise mower and spend the whole of the ceremony cutting his grass. It turned out that he did something like that, mower or chainsaw or other noisy equipment, quite often as he didn't like the church and had complained about the bells ringing.
The couple asked if I could remove the mower sound. Whilst it didn't obliterate the vows it was a constant annoyance throughout. Like you Peter I like to be obliging and helpful when I can but in that instance it had to be a no.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #4
Major Player

This is one of those elements that should be addressed within your contract. I specify a limit of 2 hours of edit changes (at no charge) if those requests are made within 7 days of review copy viewing. Since the review is posted online, I know when to "start the clock". After that, all changes are done at an hourly rate. So far, this has been a painless option, and an incentive for the client to be organized in their requests. You really want to prevent a back-and-forth that eats away at your time and profit.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If the client asks for a re-edit, I always do that...Right after I tell them the price for that and then I don't need to do a re-edit anymore. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Regular Crew

If you know an audio engineer, simply refer them. That isn't something you should have to do.

With regards to minor video edits, I may do one round as a courtesy, but after that, you should charge. You run your life. There are people out that that will always ask for more if it's free. Even if they don't need it. Those are the same type of people that take all the plastic bags from the free Pick-Up-After-Your-Pet posts at public parks. They don't need the plastic bags, but they are free. So they keep taking them.
Christian Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

My contract, quite a few years back, states that I have total control of the edit and any subsequent editing is very much chargeable..that normally stops them in their tracks. A long while back I agreed to edits the bride wanted and she turned up with an 8 page list of things she wanted changed...3 days later (with her sitting beside me) and not a penny in the bank, prompted me to put an immediate stop to that.

Obviously if I make an error, I will change it, but otherwise they get what I decide and I have never had any issues since that fateful day!!

I always feel that if you offer changes the couple will feel they are at least obliged to submit a few changes and then they start "nit picking" and before long you end up having to change a huge amount of footage.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #8
Major Player

This is from my T&Cs.

RECORDING, EDITING & DELIVERY: will only be in accordance with these details and those on the booking agreement. *** will use any, and only, equipment and personnel deemed necessary by ***. Live event recording in actuality has many potential problems that may affect the quality of the video: examples but not limited to - adverse weather conditions, poor lighting, poor acoustic conditions, extraneous sound or light, difficult or uncooperative people, unwilling clergy, inaccessible positions, faulty materials, or faulty equipment. Liability cannot be accepted for consequential losses due to any of the above or any other circumstances outside of the control of ***, or those that could not reasonable have been foreseen.

When I have the final payment I deliver one DVD with this notice, both verbally and printed:

PLEASE VIEW THIS DISC AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, ANY PROBLEMS MUST BE NOTIFIED WITHIN SEVEN DAYS

Great care has been taken at every stage to produce the best quality video for you. However with such a quantity of material it is possible that things may have slipped through the editing system. If you find that there are any problems with your video it is important that you let me know within seven days so that I can, if possible, make any necessary changes.

Please note that any re-editing or amendments that were not part of the original agreement will only be undertaken on a chargeable basis as shown on the booking agreement.

Please let me know if you will be unable to watch the video within those seven days. If I have not heard from you after seven days I will assume that all is well and your video will be finalised as a digital media master. If you have ordered additional DVD or Blu-ray discs they will be made at this time. Please note that the digital media master will be exactly the same as the computer master, the only difference being that it will not be possible to make any alterations to that or the subsequent copies.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 04:23 AM   #9
Major Player

This is an ongoing pain for me too. I have cleary stated on my contract that 'faults' i.e a disc no wroking or a name spelt wrong will be fixed quickly and without charge but editing changes will be charged for. I too have a 7 day window for the client to get back to me.

This is on my contract in the clauses and in big bold letters above where they sign. Also, when I deliver the discs its on another compliments slip.

I still get clients saying things like "This fade seems too quick and it doesnt look right, thats a fault to us so we shouldnt have to pay for it"

or

"We dont want the scene where all out friends are jumping about on the stage making idiots of themselves, we dont see why should pay to have a scene removed that shouldnt have been there"

or, most recently when a bride requested the music changed for her Trailer which went on line, which I agreed to do as I hadnt mastered anything but reminded her at the time that any changes after delivery will be charged for, she replied "If there's nothing bad then it wont needed to be changed"

I find it infuriating sometimes. However its worded people want to get round it with how 'fault' is defined.
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Dan

What's happening is that you are expecting them to find faults...simply don't put that clause in your contract..since changing my contract 5 years ago, I have had just one client complaint...I used a December DVD cover template to make a March bride's cover and left the date as 2011 instead of 2012!
I naturally printed her new covers and delivered them personally!!

My contract at the end says " The client grants full editorial control of this production and post production to Wedding Video Productions".

Seriously it stops all the garbage..trust me, if something slips thru that IS your fault and it worries the bride, she will contact you!!! By giving them 7 days to find fault with your DVD, you are inviting them to take out a magnifying glass and find something and they WILL attempt to find something that they normally wouldn't have an issue with..but gee..the videographers DID ask us to look for faults!!!

Does it hurt your business to not offer any "fault clause" ??? Absolutely not!! I get tons of great comments and referrals from past brides.

Scrap the idea of "proof disks" or "preview disks" ..Just give them the final DVD set and they will be delighted!!

Certainly made my life a whole lot easier

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #11
Major Player

I know how frustrating that is Dan. Most of us think that the clients understand what we are offering, even signing to say they do, but in reality you just get some that will always forget or ignore and just try to push to have things their way. To some extent I can see their point, to most people the cost of a wedding DVD is a lot of money, but when it comes to the nit-pickers or those looking for excuses for discounts or free work that's the time we discover if we are a business man or a 'nice man'.
George Kilroy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques