lighting for weddings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 17th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: lighting for weddings

Hi Troy

If you search for video light 5010A on eBay you will find them... it is a poor man's version of the C omer lights that Taky sells..if you can afford a Comer then get one!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #17
Major Player

I agree with those who suggest the LED on camera lights. I have bought several off brands on a popular auction site but the absolute best value for the money has been the Z96 LED light with magnetic filters.

This light retails some places for $150 but can be had on an auction site from multiple vendors for right at $50 with free shipping. It uses Sony batteries or AA batteries.

Be wary of cheap LED lights that don't have a screwed in camera shoe mount. Those that are made of plastic and attached to the LED light by four tiny screws break easily and cannot be replaced. The Z96 and a few others have 1/4" shoe mounts that screw into a hole in the bottom of the light. These are great because if the shoe mount breaks there are a lot of replacement shoe mounts you can buy to screw into the LED to replace the original one.

We use CFL light boxes when doing some event videography where we are videotaping lecturers but for run and gun wedding receptions the on camera lights are the way to go.

We actually have three Z96's. Sometimes I carry one in my hand and will hold it above my head pointed at the dance floor while my primary shooter is getting wide shots. It is amazing how much better one or two of these little LED lights can make video of a dim venue look!
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #18
Major Player

How about a F1.4 lens to go with your DSLR and you can forget about the light, I have to use a light only a couple of times since I switch to DSLR a few years ago when the reception was pitch black, people react when you turn on your lights, LED or not it is still bright and they are aware of you are shooting them, without the light it is much more natural for the video and for the guests.
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
How about a F1.4 lens to go with your DSLR and you can forget about the light, I have to use a light only a couple of times since I switch to DSLR a few years ago when the reception was pitch black, people react when you turn on your lights, LED or not it is still bright and they are aware of you are shooting them, without the light it is much more natural for the video and for the guests.
I'm already using f1.4 lens. The Venue and the DJ just think it's cool to turn down the light real low for the dance floor.
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #20
Major Player

I'm sure there are not many wedding photographers who would consider not using a flash for the first dance
Therefore I also need light and for the same reasons.
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #21
Inner Circle

It's not just a question of the scene being adequately exposed it's the type & quality of lighting that is important. Even if you have a DSLR that excels in low light the images will look like crap if the lighting is flat & even. You need lights to throw shadows to make the video look three-dimensional. Photographers don't use flash because there isn't enough light they use it to enhance the image & we need to do the same with video lights. The only problem is that on-camera lights are just as unflattering as on-camera flash. If you can get the light off the camera & up to one side the quality of the images will be improved enormously.

We use those cheap 160-LED lamps & the latest ones that we bought are much brighter & even have barn doors but still cost less than £40/$50. I have a 50W spot light that runs off a 12V battery (the bulb is actually a halogen car headlamp bulb) that can be useful when held by an assistant.

I have just bought a cheap (£40/$50) used 1000W hand blaster off eBay but haven't had the nerve to use it at a wedding yet. It is really really bright runs really hot & has a built in fan. The downside of course is that I need a mains socket & extension lead to use it but it floods a room with light. Perhaps I should whip this out first so that they can complain that it's too bright then they won't complain when I switch to the LED lamps that I always wanted to use:-)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Victor

I get way better results since I switched from multi-led on camera lights to ones with powerleds!! Mine are 6 x 3W LED's rather than hundreds of smaller ones and give me a much better light and also more wattage too. The Comer lights (considered the best) use the same arrangement.

Chris
In what way is it better than the multi-LED lamps? Brighter? More even? Throws further? The Comer knock-offs are about the same price as the 160-LEDs that we use.
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Nguyen View Post
The Venue and the DJ just think it's cool to turn down the light real low for the dance floor.
I usually get by all day without extra light untill the first dance, had several weddings this year I ran into problems with my dslr and a f2.8 lens on a steadicam, then I just put my videocamera on a tripod and attached a videolight on it and direct it to the couple. But often the distance was too far and it still turned out underexposed. Now I just attach my sony cx730 to my steadicam which has a build in light but I need to get close enough to the couple which is not always the best option (I like to get them in the frame completely) but often it's the only option to get usable footage.

I have seen video's here where videographer bring their own lights on a lightstand but as much as I would like to have that as well, it certainly would not be appreciated in some cases, One venue I visited several times the past years is known for using candle light only and my dslr's and sony can cope until they start the first dance, adding too much light would ruin the mood for sure so it's often trying to find the right balance of how much you can add.

Honestly I do get tired of these venues that like you say think it's cool to turn the lights down completely so even my dslr with a f1.4 lens and at 3200 iso can't cope, I did purchase a lightstand recently to add a small camera in the church so I can get high enough, seriously considering getting a bit stronger light for it and then just place it right next to the DJ to add lights when needed, they probably will blame the DJ for it afterwards :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I use on-camera light for run and gun interviews. At reception, I also have video light mounted on light stand placed at the rear corner of dance floor. It works well too as I mounted a voice recorder on the same light stand to pick up sounds from DJ speakers for master audio track.

Off-axle lighting brings depth to the object with highlight and shadow. more dynamic image tone.
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:06 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
... people react when you turn on your lights, LED or not it is still bright and they are aware of you are shooting them, without the light it is much more natural for the video and for the guests.
I respectfully disagree on this. In this iphone/digital/mobile age, everybody has a camera phone. People used to act in front of camera. I put together a blog post about this Concern of Using Video Light at Event | L.A. Color Online Blog

:)
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:28 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Hey Nigel

It definately gives you more bang for your buck..my 6 x PowerLED units push out nearly 15w compared to the 160LED that barely makes 11W and yes, I do find that the light is a lot more even and for some reason the powerleds have a slightly lower colour temp too so my WB handles the light from the 5010 perfectly but if I use my 160LED light I have to clamp on the amber filter otherwise everything goes blue and you have to do a manual white balance.... Some cams ATW might not handle the 5010 light but the Panasonics have no issue with it and white is instantly white!! I usually only use it for fairly close work so I suspect the lux dropoff will be much the same as a multi-led light...I currently have a 126LED light, a 160 with barn doors, then a 5010 which has 6 LEDs in a round cluster and a 5010A which has the Comer style configuration.....I always choose the 5010A now...a Sony FP70 battery will last all night too!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #27
Major Player

100% in agreement with Don's comments above. As I have said many times before, light is our friend, we need good light for good images. a lighting kit is just as important as a good tripod and audio equipment, never leave home without it.
Old July 18th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Chris, I just ordered a 5510A on your recommendation so it had better be good:-) It was just £50/$80 including a battery & charger.
Old July 18th, 2012, 09:33 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
I use on-camera light for run and gun interviews. At reception, I also have video light mounted on light stand placed at the rear corner of dance floor. It works well too as I mounted a voice recorder on the same light stand to pick up sounds from DJ speakers for master audio track.

Off-axle lighting brings depth to the object with highlight and shadow. more dynamic image tone.
That is why I don't use light, take advantage of available light and if you are doing int., position them for the best picture, with on camera light then it is one dimension unless you have someone holding the light for you off axle or mount it on a stand but then you are confine to the area where the light can reach, that is why I have change my style completely, only use light when it is completely dark.
Old July 18th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Hi Nigel

Well I find them way better than multileds and the construction is also better and the form factor is smaller. Every multiled light I have put on the camera seems to have a poor cold shoe mount so I ended up buying an extra mini-ballhead and cold shoe to strengthen the mount so it didn't wobble around.

I found that the overall performance was a lot more consistent and the battery pack clips on and stays on! I became very tired of lights using AA rechargeables that died or came loose or adapters that needed mods. On my 160 light (seldom used now) I ended up with a hot glue gun and squirted a ton of glue and spacers into the Panasonic battery fitting to stop it falling out.

The great thing about eBay is you can always put an item back on there if you don't like it..!!

I'd appreciate your overview once you have tried it out ?

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques