Funeral Video tips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 25th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Funeral Video tips?

Was thinking of trying the funeral video gig. I mainly shoot weddings but would really like to fill some weekdays with shooting work. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, Rates, marketing, how much to "share" with funeral directors, editing and positioning tips, etc. I understand the delicate matter and would like to be even more unobtrusive as I am at a wedding!

Last edited by Darryn Carroll; July 25th, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Darryn Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 12:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Funeral Video tips?

Best $130 you will spend. Everything you asked I think is covered in this book.

They Shoot Funerals, Don't They: Complete Guide to Funeral Video Production & Marketing by Earl Chessher (Paperback) - Lulu
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Chip, thanks for the link that looks excellent albeit US-centric.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Ordered the book today, thanks.I wonder if any church clergy object to this?
Old August 9th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Couldn't help posting to this thread, because I am probably the only videographer here... who also owns a funeral home!

I shoot funerals all the time of course; I could go on and on about the do's and don'ts. Church services vs. graveside services. Etc. etc., the list goes on and on. I am happy to help with specific questions however, and offer tips. I have a bit of an unfair advantage, but I can still tell you some of my favorite tricks and shots. Always glad to help!
Old August 9th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Ben, you may just hear from me! I am about halfway through the book, lots of good info. My most major concern is how some of the attendees will react to me if they do not know I am hired from family.
Old August 9th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Darryn, feel free to message me anytime. I can't say much about the reaction of attendees, however, since I am also the funeral director so people don't really question what I'm doing. But I would suggest you treat it like we all treat weddings - be as unobtrusive as possible. Try to get permission from whoever is in charge; clergy, funeral director, etc. to arrive at the venue at least an hour early to set up. Unlike weddings, we don't have a rehearsal to go to, so it is truly a one chance shoot. Set up your static cam (if you're using one) in an unassuming place, and stay out of view if you run and gun. I usually use a 70-200mm on my DSLR, which allows me to stay back. I set up a zoom recorder at the pulpit as well. If there is going to be a procession to the cemetery, do whatever you can to get there a few minutes early so you can shoot the procession arriving; especially the hearse. Okay, I am starting to ramble! :)

Let me know if you need other info!

Ben
Old August 10th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Just had to shoot a memorial service for some family friends - actually was a fairly easy shoot and mix... not sure I'd want to do a lot of them, but not a high stress shoot.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Major Player

Yeah, funerals are very low stress but they can take an emotional toll. I like doing them but I think about them for days after the shoot.

They are certainly not like a weddings where I can't remember what the bride and groom looked like the next morning! LOL
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques