DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   London Oympics 2012 opening ceremony (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/509622-london-oympics-2012-opening-ceremony.html)

Colin McDonald July 27th, 2012 06:32 PM

London Oympics 2012 opening ceremony

Great opening, superb effects. I thought it tailed off a bit on the pop music bit towards the end.

Technically excellent, a few minor probs with sound and vision (eg audio balance and some focus issues). BBC still on top of the game. Well done all - another example of how to do really big events to the highest standard and an inspiration to us all in our day to day events coverage.

(Forget RCVs - anyone here have a airship?)

George Kilroy July 28th, 2012 02:38 AM

Re: London Oympics 2012 opening ceremony

I'll make no comment about the content or performances (especially our beloved Beatle) but I thought that the editing was very choppy, often cutting from a relevant shot far too quickly. Still that's the hazard of thinking as you go and having to make snap decisions during a live transmission.

I wonder how the choreographers who've spent time and sweated blood to get the spectacular set-pieces to present as they envisioned feel about the camera operator becoming entwined in the performance. In wide views there was often a steadycam op' back-tracking in front of the main performer. Necessary I know but reminds me of how wedding guests must view those who do their turn on the dance floor with the b&g during the first dance, circling them oblivious to those watching.

I also noticed that here seemed to be a problem with the audio mix, at least on the normal BBC channel.

Allan Black July 28th, 2012 02:41 AM

Well done, the Queen didn't look too happy tho, maybe after downstairs says how good she was. See if she gets an agent now.

Be interesting to hear from director Danny Boyle, when he comes to.

Cheers.

Colin McDonald July 28th, 2012 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Kilroy (Post 1745798)
I also noticed that here seemed to be a problem with the audio mix, at least on the normal BBC channel.

I though the audio had a few probs too. (How DO you mic 1000 moving drums and keep the balance?)
I could have done with more of the sounds from the performance sometimes and less wittering from the commentators.

BTW did I really see the steadycam op walking backwards up the hill without a buddy?

Ervin Farkas July 31st, 2012 06:00 PM

I tried hard to switch off the techie-me but could not entirely. I enjoyed it for the most part... the constant drumming during the parade was very annoying if you ask me. At the very end they could have miked the crowd better during Sir Paul's song - I barely heard anything at all. In the end we can criticize all we want, but it's kind of hard to be sure any one of us would have been able to do a better job.

Anyone who has ever done live switching knows what I mean - you simply don't have full control over every move of the cameramen.

Mike Beckett August 1st, 2012 12:28 AM

The Segwaying Stedicam operator during the torch procession had to be the highlight for me. Just amazing!

Charles Papert August 1st, 2012 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Kilroy (Post 1745798)
I wonder how the choreographers who've spent time and sweated blood to get the spectacular set-pieces to present as they envisioned feel about the camera operator becoming entwined in the performance. In wide views there was often a steadycam op' back-tracking in front of the main performer. Necessary I know but reminds me of how wedding guests must view those who do their turn on the dance floor with the b&g during the first dance, circling them oblivious to those watching.

Seeing that the stadium seats 80,000 but the opening ceremony was broadcast to 1 billion people, I think the choreographers probably shouldn't mind the technology necessary to achieve the latter!

I once got literally "entwined in the performance" in this situation, doing Steadicam for the World Cup in '94. During the opening ceremony I got stuck in the middle of a drum and bugle corps and a guy stuck his face in the lens and yelled "get off the field"! My on-camera mike was live and it made the broadcast...still have the tape somewhere.

George Kilroy August 1st, 2012 04:55 AM

Charles. I do realise how important getting the shot is in these extravaganzas. My comments were meant to be a wry observation in a forum that is visited by picky people like me who enjoy watching the production nuts and bolts as much if not more than the spectacle. I realise that most viewers will not even notice cameras or other production paraphernalia, sensibly they will watch the show.

Allan Black August 1st, 2012 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Papert (Post 1746433)
Seeing that the stadium seats 80,000 but the opening ceremony was broadcast to 1 billion people, I think the choreographers probably shouldn't mind the technology necessary to achieve the latter!

imo that's what the organisers/prod folk/participents/world networks and the 1 billion viewers say too.

Cheers.