One More Reason Not To Give Raw Footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 28th, 2012, 01:39 PM   #16
New Boot

Re: One More Reason Not To Give Raw Footage

Cheapest clients are usually more work.

Lesson you will learn.

Charge to capture the footage on an HDV deck and down convert for them.
Scott Millar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #17
Regular Crew

If a client requests raw footage, I drop the editing costs but add an extra $150 for a hard drive and cutting up and labeling all of the clips. I also include a read only .TXT file with all of my contact information and copyright data on it. I tell them it's so that it's easier for the editor to work with/cheaper for them/cures cancer so they're usually happy to pay the extra money. I may "forget" to include a few shots here and there. I've only had one client ask were some of the missing footage was(she had a really good memory) I told her there was an issue with the tape(it was a card based camera) and it didn't record correctly (It was just a little white lie. I swear) and she bought it and said thank you for saving her time and pruning out all of the bad clips. she also said I should make sure all of my tapes are good before I shoot (Tapes were fine, bridesmaids were drunk and the bride really didn't need to see her one of her bridesmaid call her obscene things when she wasn't paying attention)
David Aronson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #18
Major Player

When a client asks for raw footage, what reason do you give for it not being available?
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #19
Major Player

Because I don't want them to know I used the hot bridesmaids nipples for focus peaking tests.
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM   #20
Inner Circle

:D
Well, now I think about it, I sometimes zoom into the brides dress in church to whitebalance if I don't have the time to do a custom WB, only it can happen that the only white space available is at breast height and I think she will never believe I was whhitebalancing at that time. :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Dan, you tell them the truth, that you simply don't give raw footage because of potential issues it can create.

I tell them I will not let raw footage out of my studio because I prefer to have complete control over everything that leaves my studio. I will also tell them I cannot take a chance on raw footage being viewed by someone (friend or family) that does not understand it is raw footage, not edited.

I tell them there is no upside to releasing raw footage, normally, and plenty of drawbacks. I also tell the bride that most of my friends follow the same policy.

I have given raw footage as part of a deal to get a job secured, if it meant the difference between getting a good job or not getting it.

As with so many things, it just depends.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques