DSLR/AG-AC130 Slider at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 21st, 2012, 06:01 AM   #1
New Boot

DSLR/AG-AC130 Slider

I am looking to add a quality slider to my gear. I use both a DSLR and a Panasonic AG-AC130 for my shoots. Any recommendations on a slider that will work for both cameras? I have looked into the Konova a bit as it seems to be a more affordable bearings slider. My budget is $300-$600.

Also, any advantages/disadvantages of a slider with a hand crank?

Thanks.
Greg Thuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: DSLR/AG-AC130 Slider

Really like the Digital Juice Slyder Dolly. I have the 40" and it's plenty long. Works great with anything from a DLSR to a fully-loaded AF100 or RED!

The problem with sliders is that the really lightweight, portable ones you can use all day long usually can't support anything more than a lightly-equipped DSLR. The heavy-duty ones won't bend or bind up with heavier loads, but it's more of a chore to set up and transport. Gah! Might as well get both :)
Old August 21st, 2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: DSLR/AG-AC130 Slider

That Digital Juice Slyder Dolly looks really nice for the larger cameras. For smaller & lighter cameras (& the AC130 is smaller & lighter) the best slider that I have used is the Kessler Pocket Dolly Philip Bloom Signature Edition. Sadly it's also the most expensive slider that I have ever used at over $1000 so I don't yet own one. It's lightweight, portable, smooth etc etc It does have a hand crank but as it's a 1:1 it doesn't really help making the slides any smoother or steadier. The slightly cheaper regular Pocket Dolly is very good too although it doesn't have the variable drag of the PBPD. I saw a post from Joe Simon on Vimeo the other day where he was singing the praises of the new Kessler Stealth Dolly which looks like the PBPD without the crank.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques