DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Taping Direct to a DVD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/510206-taping-direct-dvd.html)

Brian Maynard August 24th, 2012 06:01 AM

Taping Direct to a DVD

Good morning!

I am getting ready to tape some live events. I would like to burn the video directly to a DVD as I am taping so that I have a master DVD that I can use in a DVD duplicator and burn DVD's for people immediately following the event.

I have the DVD duplicator. I also have a Macbook Pro. Is this possible to do?

Would a Sony VRD-MC6 connect to my camera (Canon XH-A1) to burn the DVD or am I better off with something else?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Brian

David Stoneburner August 25th, 2012 07:46 AM

Re: Taping Direct to a DVD

Brian,
I have used the Sony VRD-MC6 for awhile and the 2 versions before. They have worked very well for me. A great way to get a nice quality DVD right after an event. The only thing that I don't like is that it doesn't have a "no menu" option. I have never tried putting my own menu on, but the built in ones are ok. I recommend them for what they do. B&H has their new version which now burns blue rays, although a little costly at around $400.

Brian Maynard August 26th, 2012 05:22 AM

David, thank you very much for taking the time to help me. I really do appreciate it.

I will give it a try.

Brian

Colin McDonald August 27th, 2012 02:16 AM

I remember being asked some time ago about recording directly to DVD. Managed to find the thread - a bit old now, but just in case it might help Use of a PVR dvd recorder [Archive] - The Digital Video Information Network

Don Bloom August 27th, 2012 05:29 AM

I have 1 corporate client that I have to go direct to DVD for. I bring in a stand alone burner, throw in a DVD, hit "record" and go. No menus, no chapter markers, no nothin' but that's what they want. Cable from camera to recorder, Done. they do market research interviews and product demos and never run more than 1 hour with about 15 minutes between interviews so the DVD can be finalized in the burner. A sharpie works fine for their "labels" into a glassine envelope, end of the day hand over DVDs, pack it up, go home. Been doning this about 6 times a year for the last 5 or 6 years. Easy work, easy money.

Brian Maynard August 30th, 2012 12:40 PM

Colin, thank you very much for finding that thread. I think I am going to buy a DVD recorder and do some experimentation.

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Brian

Brian Maynard August 30th, 2012 12:41 PM

Don.
We are on the same wave-length (Probably bad for you...). That's exactly what I was thinking.

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me. I really do appreciate it.

Brian

Luke Arndt August 31st, 2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Bloom (Post 1750155)
I have 1 corporate client that I have to go direct to DVD for. I bring in a stand alone burner, throw in a DVD, hit "record" and go. No menus, no chapter markers, no nothin' but that's what they want. Cable from camera to recorder, Done. they do market research interviews and product demos and never run more than 1 hour with about 15 minutes between interviews so the DVD can be finalized in the burner. A sharpie works fine for their "labels" into a glassine envelope, end of the day hand over DVDs, pack it up, go home. Been doning this about 6 times a year for the last 5 or 6 years. Easy work, easy money.

What model recorder do you use? I have used a couple of the Sony recorders, but they seem to all have some sort of menu. It would be nice to be able to go menu-less!

Don Bloom September 1st, 2012 05:57 AM

It's an old Pioneer that I've had for about 8 years, maybe a bit longer. I can't remember the model number nor are there any labels left on it (they've all rubbed off) so I can't tell you the model number but I do know I got it at Best Buy and paid about 300 to 350 for it. Ran home with it like I stole it, hooked it up, threw a DVD RW+ into it and was blown away I could burn a DVD straight from the camera. I have tried to take good care of it since I don't want to buy another one. This one will automatically throw a marker in about every 10 minutes. That's adjustable on the menu but since I lost the remote I can't adjust it. I really don't care about that. It's old like me, beatup like like me, but still works, like me. :-)

John Knight September 1st, 2012 06:45 PM

Starting to make a few strange noises? Takes a while to turn on? About to blow a fuse?

Chris Harding September 1st, 2012 09:08 PM

Hey John

Probably works a lot better than Don still.... Getting old like us guys is no good...at least once the Pioneer gets up and running it keep running if with a few strange noises....we can usually get up and running but we don't last very long once we are up there.

Chris

Don Bloom September 2nd, 2012 06:01 AM

I do make strange noises but none of them are the kid anyone wants to hear. Once I get up and running I have a time limit before I wind down unlike the recorder which really makes less noise than I do and will keep going until I hit the off button. I'd say that all in all the machine has faired better than I.

O|O
\--/

Chris Harding September 2nd, 2012 06:21 AM

Hey Don

Such are the disadvantages of being an ageing human....I don't think I would have enough left to run the length of a DVD...at our time in life I think we tend to have a auto-shutdown button, unlike the DVD recorder that will run until the belts start slipping. Then again, we do pretty good for our age...I'd like to see a DVD recorder run for our number of years!! When we started the recorders were massive machines with 1" reel to reel tape of dubious quality and have long since been retired to museum archives..we on the other hand are still current (well, a bit well worn, but nevertheless still out there and working)

Chris

Don Bloom September 2nd, 2012 10:14 AM

Chris you are correct and I am probably lamenting for years gone by (nostalgia side of me). Last night I ran roving camera at a local festival (and will again tonight) that featured a well known band that started some 40 years ago. Good golly Miss Molly, they're still working and so am I! I got home last night after a 5 hour day (there were 2 bands with time inbetween) and my body hurt like hell and still does. Some ibuprofen some sleep some rest today before I goto it again and like the DVD recorder (or energizer Bunny) I'll be back at it tonight.
Why? Oh the humanity! I should have been born rich instead of handsome! OK, maybe not handsome but...
Yeah we'll probably outlast 99.9% of the gear we'll ever use and with the body part replacements available today heck we might last a hundred years or more. Chris, I'll see you in the tech repair shop!

O|O
\--/

Stelios Christofides September 4th, 2012 02:29 AM

Don and Chris your posts are gems!!
You know I have a REVOX B77 open reel recorder and still works 100% after almost 34 years!!!!

stelios