New Sony camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 6th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Trustee

New Sony camera

Id like to replace my Panasonic AG-150 with a shoulder mount camera. What do you guys think of this one?

Sony Product Detail Page NEXEA50UH
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New Sony camera

The only thing you will hear is what others have heared about the camera and what the specs say but there are no real life user experiences out yet, if you want to know more about the camera it's better to wait untill you can ask a owner what they think about it.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Goodness, the entry level is now $4,200.00 I'd better buy something while I can still afford it :)

Cheers.
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Trustee

B&H has it listed at $3,600 it seems interesting because its pretty cheap for a shoulder mount camera. I think its only one chip BUT I think the real interesting part is it looks like a DSLR camera put in a shoulder mount form factor. Should be good for weddings.
Old September 6th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Before you replace your HMC150 wait a while (as already said) and see what practical users say about it!
I bought two AC-130 Pannys when they hit our shores and it was a huge mistake!! Only after users started coming up with all the issues it had with wedding shoots did I realise it wasn't the ideal wedding cam at all. Yep the new Sony is basically a large sensor camera with an EVF and able to sit on your shoulder so make sure you can deal with the tiny DOF at weddings first and that it might suit your style...I found that high sensitivity cams were great at the reception but a nightmare for a solo shooter at outdoor ceremonies so I ditched the 130's and went back to using two HMC82's again and was very thankful for the fact that they can run in auto when required...If you want the fancy DOF results why not use a DSLR and then something like the XA series Canons??? Jeff I believe uses GH2's but a Canon XA10 for the main ceremony shoot.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Chris, sorry to hear about your unhappy experience with the Panasonics, I really had wanted that cam, maybe I should be glad I didn't get it.

Anyway, Randy, I think that Sony cam would be tough to shoot weddings with unless you are have experience with cams like it, but I'm sure it would produce very nice images.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Randy

Before you replace your HMC150 wait a while (as already said) and see what practical users say about it!
I bought two AC-130 Pannys when they hit our shores and it was a huge mistake!! Only after users started coming up with all the issues it had with wedding shoots did I realise it wasn't the ideal wedding cam at all. Yep the new Sony is basically a large sensor camera with an EVF and able to sit on your shoulder so make sure you can deal with the tiny DOF at weddings first and that it might suit your style...I found that high sensitivity cams were great at the reception but a nightmare for a solo shooter at outdoor ceremonies so I ditched the 130's and went back to using two HMC82's again and was very thankful for the fact that they can run in auto when required...If you want the fancy DOF results why not use a DSLR and then something like the XA series Canons??? Jeff I believe uses GH2's but a Canon XA10 for the main ceremony shoot.

Chris
Chris, you don't know how close your story was almost mine. From a spec standpoint the Panny AC-130 seemed like the dream camera I had been waiting for to replace my two Sony V1U's. Thank heavens I waited long enough to hear about the focus issues. Unlike a lot of folks we almost exclusively use autofocus in our wedding shoots. Something that has worked out brilliantly with our Sony V1U's. It seems the Panny would have been disasterous for us. Such a shame because that seems to be the only thing keeping the 130 from being king of the hill in its price range. I was further disappointed when the "A" versions of the 130 and 160 didn't really address the auto focus issues.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

Sadly the focus issues were only a small part of the problem...but yes autofocus sometimes just has to be good....I focus in manual during ceremony and speeches anyway.

The biggest issue was autoiris because that's all it does....it effectively runs the iris control from open and as soon as it hits F5.6 you need to think about a shutter change as 1/3rd chip cameras start going grotty ay F8 and smaller!! ... Unlike my HMC82's there is NO link between iris and shutter so you might as well not have autoiris...the moment it gets to F5.6 it flashes "ND" ..there are 4 manual ND filters and even if a tiny cloud passes over the sun at an outdoor wedding, you are required to rush to the camera and switch in an ND filter and after the cloud has passed, rush over again and switch down....each change produces a flash on the footage as the filter comes into play so you simply don't have any dynamic range ...that was a huge issue for me ....at venues I seemed to be switching ND's up and down continuously which is not fun!! With the current cameras (and my GH1 too in IE mode) I can go from bright sun to deep shade and the iris control is seamless because it changes shutter and iris and also kicks in a progressive ND all automatically and you need that at weddings

Chris
Old September 10th, 2012, 11:23 PM   #9
Trustee

I guess I was just trying to get your take on a camera like that. I think its the first of its kind. I am looking to replace my AG-HMC150s I think the DSLR images in a shoulder mount camera would be a nice combo but for only $3600 there must be a catch.
Old September 11th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Randy

Be patient and wait for reviews of any potential new aquisition by users..in fact if you do weddings, then you need wedding videographer comments ...the AC-130 is in my opinion a perfect dance recital camera..nice zoom nice optics and at the rear of a theatre you have control all the time which is what the camera needs!!!

Run 'n Gun is another ball game and you really do need a camera that must be able to "think on it's feet" when it has to and also become a totally manual unit when the occasion arises!! It's actually not too bad a reception camera and even not bad at ceremonies but I also found the white balance to be way off target inside Churches where the HMC82 is always spot on.

If you do more than weddings then you might need to look at different cams for different jobs.

Budget is a tough cookie....ergonomically the JVCHM750 is such a joy to use at weddings...it really and truely fits the cameraman but shucks ..buy the camera (no charger/battery is supplied) and then discover that 3 batteries are going to set you back half the camera cost!!!

Hope you find something but don't jump in before feeling the water with your toe!!

Chris
Old September 17th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Id like to replace my Panasonic AG-150 with a shoulder mount camera. What do you guys think of this one?

Sony Product Detail Page NEXEA50UH
We use a spiderbrace with our Sony V1U and our Canon XA10 cameras. In our opinion it is better than a shoulder mount camera. The spiderbrace is made out of lightweight PVC and with the two handles on the front and one arm that rests over one shoulder it gives great support but also great control as you can quickly life it from your shoulder while supporting the camera with the two front handles to get shots above your head, etc.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques