Tall lighting stand recommendation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 8th, 2012, 05:31 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Tall lighting stand recommendation

Hi all

I'm looking for a lighting stand to put a GoPro camera on as a safety camera for my weddings - I have a couple of 2 meter stands but really want something like 3 meters. The stands I've been looking at though that have the height are more for pro lighting rigs and are a bit big and heavy duty!

Recommendations anyone?

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Tall lighting stand recommendation

I have various small medium and large lightstands. It is tempting to try and use the smaller (+tallest) but the problem is that once you get high the light ones are not very stable and even someone walking past can start a prolonged slight sway that will have you scrambling for stabilisation in post.

I have three of the Cheetah C12 Air lightstands. They are big and quite heavy but can be relied on to do the job. The Air feature works great in stopping all your gear coming crashing down as soon as you loosen the securing nuts - even the GoPro will shoot down unless you slow down the tubes speed with one hand. These stands area lso famous as one of the few which have legs which automatically fold and open to enable rapid placement and movement in confined spaces. I have tripod straps on mine to use for transporting them.

CheetahStand C12 Air

I got mine from an ebay seller jscamerastore but they don't seem to be active now:
Air-cushioned 3.5m studio lightstand light stand with Automatic Open/Close legs | eBay

You could email them and check if any are in stock - Cheetah doesn't ship direct to the UK.

I also have two of the small Cheetah C8 stands:

CheetahStand C8

They are not as tall as you requested but they would help avoid the "security cam" look you risk getting if your GoPro's are too high up.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Cheers Pete - I'll look into these today. Just got my GoPro Hero and am itching to start using it next week

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Trustee

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/272945-REG/Impact_3218_Multiboom_Light_Stand_Reflector_Holder.html
Gives you a boom option at the same time...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I just bought a couple of these. They are 2m high ultra-lightweight but sturdy & come in a nice canvas bag. At £10.77 each you can't go wrong.

Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques