Engagement Videoshoot Ideas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 20th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Engagement Videoshoot Ideas

Hello - I need some ideas or story and tips on how to make a video trailor highlight or coming soon type of highlight for couples wedding that is coming up in November.

I just don't know how to tell a story in video.

I will have Mark II and GoPro with me. I would like to shoot Cinematography style.

Thanks for your help guys.
Mahesh Patel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Engagement Videoshoot Ideas

I'd take inspiration from the couple. This is obviously going out to all people that know them. What are they known for? If they are avid campers maybe setting it on camping. If they live in the city have it set in there. Maybe they have a unique story of how they met or what people know of them as a couple.
Travis Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Good idea. :)
Mahesh Patel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Major Player

what i've done in the past is, get some footage of the couple in the location where they've decided to have their location shoot and maybe in the vicinity of where they're getting married and perhaps the Brides house etc. along with their fav pursuits it can add context and continuity to the actual wedding video.
Old September 24th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Here's a great idea!!
Kelly Huffaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just took the couple to the SAME park that they met years back, and had them REENACT what happened.......sorta :)
Kelly Huffaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #7
Regular Crew

We did a pre-wedding shoot recently. The groom proposed to the bride in Edinburgh, so we decided to go there for their pre wedding portrait photo shoot. We also decided to make a short film that they would be able to play before their entrance at the reception. At that point (Feb this year), we had no idea what direction we would take with the film, so just took some candid footage of them. Once we had got back, we did an interview type situation, where we would ask them about various things (what they like about each other, food, drink, hobbies, how they met, etc.).

At that point we decided that the proposal would be the main theme of the film. He arranged a surprise trip when he proposed. He bought a ticket to Edinburgh and asked her to get on a plane without asking questions. He took another flight and was planning on meeting up with her later. He had a driver pick her up from the airport and take her shopping and a massage and some other places, before taking her to a park at the back of the castle where he would ‘appear’ and propose. This went wrong because the first place she was supposed to go was a Starbucks, where she bumped into him. So she knew what the whole day was about.

Once we had all the footage, we put it together with a couple of songs. Will upload it at some point so will post a link. If you are interested in the photos have a look here.
Rupal & Nishil | Facebook
Rahul Choksi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #8
Major Player

Try thinking of an idea for arranged marriages (nightmare). The couples are always the best place to start, you will be surprised on how much feedback and ideas you get from them. Creating any kind of story on your own might seem great to you but if they are not comfortable with it then the video will obviously reflect that.

The more they think the sequence is their own idea the better it will look.
Tariq Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I can imagine that a video for an arranged marriage would be very tough. Have you had many arranged couples that have requested these videos? I would imagine the best thing to do in that case would be just to have 'random' candid shots of them on a day out as opposed to a film with a story. I suppose it would depend on the couple - maybe you could make a film about how they were introduced? Could have some fun with that maybe?

With regards to the one we did, it was the first time we thought about doing something like this and have learnt alot, including how long it can take to create this! Although it is great that you are able to shoot without the pressures of a live event, the planning of the shots can take a lot of time.
Rahul Choksi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques