DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   frame rate consneus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/511051-frame-rate-consneus.html)

Randy Johnson September 29th, 2012 11:18 AM

frame rate consneus

I was wonder what resolution and frame rate you guys use? 720p 24 1080i 60? Do you ever mix frame rates? ie shoot 24p for pre-bridal and ceremony then switch to 60i for reception?

John Knight September 29th, 2012 01:30 PM

Re: frame rate consneus

I'm in PAL land and have always traditionally been a fan of interlaced because I didn't like the progressive jitter.

However after working on a 25p film festival project, I switched and love the 25p look.

I film mainly 1080/50p now which gives the option to "re-interpret" at 25p making beautiful slow motion.

Then use CS6 to downconvert to DVD once edited.

I never mix frame rates... timeline is set at 25p.

Personally I don't believe the 24p "film-look" nonsense.

Chris Harding September 29th, 2012 07:21 PM

I do my weddings in documenary format without the fancy 24P film look and issues that go along with it. Currently I still shoot everything at 1080 50i as my current cams only have 50P at 720 but next years models with have 1080 50P!! Like John I find that 25P is too jittery!! I guess in the USA you do have those extra 5 frames which probably helps so 1080 30P is more usable.

Even shooting interlaced I never have issues from the clients and the 50i footage downconverts nicely in Sony Vegas 10 to SD 720x576 so the bride can get a DVD. Weird thing here is that couples all seem to own a whopping great flat screen TV (up to 80" now!!) but still seem to have only a cheap domestic DVD player so the final result has to be to DVD as that's what they expect!

Chris

Jeff Harper September 29th, 2012 10:51 PM

I personally complained about the preoccupation with 24p that people have, but I am now a believer, I love it.

I started shooting in 24p because it is the frame rate my cameras all share, (I shoot with mixed cameras). But I continue to shoot in 24pm because I do love the look. The 24p of my XA10s has a dreamy look that I never could have achieved with interlaced or even with 720 60p.

24p requires special shooting techniques, mainly keeping pans slow and steady when possible. I shoot using static shots anyway, from a tripod, so it works out great for me.

John Estcourt September 29th, 2012 11:26 PM

25p for all my weddings. Converted to 24p for bluray. Always looks great.
I dont even think about slow pans etc as ive been filming this way so long.
I sometimes use 720 60p for slow motion shots and that mixes in well.
One of my cameras records 1080p 50p natively and that also mixes in well.
The end product is always the same though. 25p. DVD and 24p blurays .
Cheers john

Nigel Barker September 30th, 2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Estcourt (Post 1755973)
25p for all my weddings. Converted to 24p for bluray. Always looks great.
I dont even think about slow pans etc as ive been filming this way so long.
I sometimes use 720 60p for slow motion shots and that mixes in well.
One of my cameras records 1080p 50p natively and that also mixes in well.
The end product is always the same though. 25p. DVD and 24p blurays .
Cheers john

I don't believe that it is necessary to convert from 25p to 24p for Blu-ray. There is no standard for progressive apart from 24p but if you choose 50i then a combination of the authoring package & the Blu-ray player should then do the right thing & even though the disc is flagged as 50i/60i when played back it will be 25p/30p on the TV. It's basically 25p within a 50i wrapper.

Randy Johnson October 1st, 2012 12:30 PM

I have been looking at a lot of work as of late and I am looking to improve my stuff. I thought maybe I should change to 24 p or maybe 720p 60.I was wondering how they work there magic with those DSLR cameras could it be thats all in the lenses? If so maybe that new Sony will be my answer.

John Estcourt October 1st, 2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1756023)
I don't believe that it is necessary to convert from 25p to 24p for Blu-ray. There is no standard for progressive apart from 24p but if you choose 50i then a combination of the authoring package & the Blu-ray player should then do the right thing & even though the disc is flagged as 50i/60i when played back it will be 25p/30p on the TV. It's basically 25p within a 50i wrapper.

Nigel, you are of course quite correct with regards 25p within a 50i wrapper. I have also done that before, however i prefer the encode quaity when it is encoded as 24p using tmpgenc.
The conversion to24p is very quick so I dont mind the extra step and I use a lossless codec.( visually lossless)

Nigel Barker October 2nd, 2012 02:17 AM

To convert from 25p to 24p you shouldn't need to re-encode just use Cinema Tools or similar & flip the bits in the file header. It will play 4% slower but nobody will notice any difference after all Hollywood has been doing the 24p to 25p conversion on movie DVDs for years by speeding it up by 4%.