Credit Cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 5th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #1
Major Player

Credit Cards

Anyone have any experience taking credit cards? Up to this point I've only taken checks/cash and haven't had any issues with someone paying. I wondering if it could help bring in more brides if they could charge it to a card.

I signed up for Square on my phone, so I can swipe a card and the money goes into my account (minus fees). Anyone have any experience in this area?

Daniel
Daniel Latimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Credit Cards

Hi Daniel

I have used PayPal for brides and have had a couple of deals where they wanted it on their cards and I had no issues and no problems at all. Not sure if the fees are more or less than your system but it's free to register and clients can used a variety of cards with the system too. They also have simple code to create a payment link from your website which works well! They are owned by eBay so they seem pretty good and I have had no issues in the nearly 10 years I have been with them

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #3
Major Player

I use PayPal too. It's easy to set up a business account. Once you do that, you can also use it to create and email invoices. There are also some rudimentary tools for keeping things organized.
Old October 5th, 2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Major Player

I'll look in to paypal! Thanks.
Old October 5th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Major Player

I once worked for a company that shot a ton of weddings and didn't take credit cards. They have a lot of bad paper and orders sitting on the shelf which would have been much less if they took cards. Make it easy for people to do business with you. I think any solution that lets you take credit cards without incurring monthly usage fees is awesome. If you have a customer who is financially constrained (e.g. not cheap, they just work a minimum wage job) you can set up periodic payments on PayPal. Also look into Buy It Now or similar options.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #6
Trustee

I have been using a Paypal business account for the past 5 years with no problems. The new invoice program with payment link is great.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Trustee

Yes, you should be taking credit cards. With the advent of Square and GoPayment, you can easily swipe their physical cards in person, or use PayPal to send invoices and receive payments online without the monthly fees of a traditional merchant account.

In general, people will pay more timely when they can just put it on a card.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Major Player

Square, Paypal and the others that are available allow you to TAKE MONEY when the customer is ready to give it to you. That's the #1 rule in business, DO NOT make it difficult for the customer to GIVE YOU MONEY!. With each added level is difficulty the customer experiences in paying you, you will experience a drop in total sales.

If you go shopping for the big ticket items you will often hear the salesman mention "buying it today". The reason you hear that, it has been proven, if the customer leaves without making the purchase, chances are he won't ever make it from them.

As far as the fees, it's varies but typically in the 3-ish% range. The thing with fees, consider it just part of your cost of doing business. 97% of a deal paid on CC is far more than 100% of a deal you didn't get because you didn't take them but the next guy did!
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Thome View Post
97% of a deal paid on CC is far more than 100% of a deal you didn't get because you didn't take them but the next guy did!
I think that sums it up right there! Thanks
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Trustee

Also, keep in mind that the bride will generally spend more if you remind them to put it on their card in order to get more travel miles or points.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques