DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Foreign language (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/511271-foreign-language.html)

Adrian Tan October 9th, 2012 03:56 PM

Foreign language

A topic that comes out of the Greek ceremony thread... Do you guys do anything special when dealing with cultures you don't speak the language of?

Do you ever try to learn a few words of that language, to communicate with guests?

Do you use any part of reception speeches or interviews on the top of highlights footage, seeing that you've no idea what they're actually saying?

Do you worry about using any sound from people talking, given that they might be saying something indiscreet/not nice, and you wouldn't know it?

Do you refer foreign language speaking couples on to a different company, knowing they might get a better result if the videographer understands the language?

Do you ever go to the trouble of getting subtitles? I saw this on a wedding DVD recently (for pre-wedding video, ceremony, speeches) and was surprised; wouldn't have thought the budget of weddings would allow one to engage a captioning company.

Stelios Christofides October 10th, 2012 09:50 AM

Re: Foreign language

I wouldn't worry so much Adrian. Just film what is necessary and what you want and let the bride and groom worry about that. Once they see the video then they can contact you to take something offensive out.

stelios

Chris Harding October 10th, 2012 06:39 PM

I must admit I try to avoid ethnic or foreign language weddings...one usually expects couples who were born locally to speak English but sadly a lot from S E Asia don't and when it comes to weddings they might have the ceremony in their own not only language, but dialect as well.

It is tough for us! I missed Mum and Dad walking up to light the candles last month...I still got them doing the lighting, just not the approach and that was simply the fact the priest announced the event in Burmese!! I was actually promised a translated version of the order of service but that never happened!!

Unless they give you an 'assistant' who stands with you and tells you what's going on, it's a tough call and best to avoid.

I also totally refuse to do some ethic weddings simply based on the complexity, mis-communication and wanting everything for nothing basis so unless they are really nice people who in fact CAN speak English it's far better to stick to Western Culture weddings..they are a lot easier to do!

Chris

Allan Black October 10th, 2012 08:15 PM

Once it was setup and we got known for doing it very well, our a/v studios enjoyed very good business by producing ethnic language soundtracks
for Aust and New Zealand companies anxious to do business off shore. Particularly the Asian languages.

30years ago we started in a small way and it grew and grew to the point where we did Govt work, with up to 15 versions of the one English program.
We employed the translators and the narrators.

O/t every 3 yrs, we knocked out multiple audio cassettes for the Aust. Dept. of Aboriginal Affairs for their tribal elections.
Around the Central Aust area there are 146 different Aboriginal dialects and each one required 20-100+ copies for their voters.
It took our crew about 3 weeks solid, including the labelling.

I'll say, if the ethnic, especially the Asian wedding business was growing in your area, try a link up with an Asian broadcaster,
he/she could liase with your clients and lay a basic Asian commentary over your footage. Carefully price it and don't overdo it to start with.

Once you got that established and word got around, you could build a profitable sideline in that area.

Cheers.