Places one aches after a shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 12th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
Trustee

Places one aches after a shoot

I'm quite fond of lists, so here's another one.

1. Main place I ache is in my left thumb. Why? Opening and closing the locks on the monopod the entire day, as well as often straining the thumb when I sling a backpack full of gear over a shoulder.

2. Feet definitely hurt. Perhaps in proportion to how mule-laden with gear I am that day. I almost definitely almost always bring too much gear with me.

3. Knuckles on right hand. Because the handgrip on the Mk3 is uncomfortably large for me. Mk2 is perfect. If I hold the Mk3 tight, as I'm wont to do, it puts strain in the wrong places.

4. Neck. In proportion to how much I've slung over it when going from place to place.

5. Stomach. Because it's quite possible I've eaten too much :). Really need to cut down on the on-the-road snacks, and on the pre- and post-wedding McDonald's debriefing sessions. I think I use food partly as a distraction, to take my mind off obsessing over shots I've done and shots yet to do.
Adrian Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Places one aches after a shoot

I fit four cameras into one camera case, and three tripods into a larger case, it has made my life much easier. I would never go back to a backpack, though I really did love my Tenba Shootout backpack camera bag.

Adrian, you might start working out a bit. It is a huge help with shooting. Lat pull-downs, curls, etc., will build up your hands, arms, neck and back and your shoot will be MUCH easier. I speak from experience.

Also, don't build up your legs. Deep knee bends, every other day. Your ankles, feet, calves, lower back will all benefit and you will breeze through a shoot, and your feet will hurt less as well.

It takes only a week or two to really notice the difference of a workout routine.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I often feel like I've been run over by a truck (not that a truck ever ran over me but I suppose it must feel like that) I need to visit a physical therapist at least once year. Especially my shoulders and neck get all cramped up by the end of a wedding season resulting in blocked nerves causing painfull joints in my hands and slight loss of feeling, about 4 to 5 treatments solve the problem.
Think a lot is caused by my blackbird steadicam use and the endless hours of editing sitting in the same position. I also developped some painfull knees when I go up the stairs, should have that checked but been posponing it for 2 year now :)
I also get cramps in my lower legs right after a wedding when I"m sleeping, also due to the steadicam use because I walk with my legs slightly bend to eliminate that walking movement.
It can also happen that when I stretch my arms in the morning my muscles in my back "lock up", also because of the steadicam use as that puts a lot of strain on my back, don't know the English word for it but it' s very painfull (feels like a torn muscle) and can last about 2 days before it's gone.
But beside that I"m all good.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Noa, I used to be in bad shape after a shoot like you describe. Since I joined the gym, I can go out for a 12 hour shoot and the next day I feel great, maybe a little tired mentally, but my body feels great now.

I'm 56 years old. I see younger photographers who are wiped at the end of the reception. I actually go out clubbing after a wedding now if I have time to get home and drop off my gear, and if it's not too late.

Used to be it took three days to recover.
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Major Player

I use

1. 24 hr fitness - atleast once a week (dont know if that helps)
2. skinny knee pads
3. all black customized nike ID
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Hey Jeff

You are a young 56?? I thought clubbing was for the kids not the oldies!!

The main issue at weddings is that you stand an awful lot..even at receptions it you are sitting you just might miss something. I guess legs ache (and of course feet) and hands are a good one too..my right hand is under the camera strap so those fingers get a bit stiff...Did one yesterday and off shortly to do another 13 hour session today...No I'm not going clubbing after midnight either..I'm 10 years older than Jeff too!

I remember Don Bloom saying that the best investment a wedding videographer can have is a good pair of shoes!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Inner Circle

When the client says 'take a walk' don't get upset, he/she might be giving you good advice.

At least 3x30mins a week is minimum, rain or shine ... hail no :)

Cheers.
Old October 12th, 2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Slash Rules!

I ache at home, i ache in the car, i ache in the bathroom, i ache in bed...
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Chris H and I are about the same age and after being on my feet doing preceremony stuff, standing at a Catholic Mass ceremony for about an hour, on my feet for the post ceremony, standing for about a half hour for the intros cake cutting and toasts before I get to really sit for a meal, my feet ache. I wear Dr. Scholls shoes with Dr. Scholls heel inserts which have helped me a lot but honestly, by the time I get into the car to go home I tired. Well not actually tired but my feet hurt.
Having been doing this for a long time I guess I'm not surprised that my body is breaking down a bit, glad it's just my tootsies. The funny thing is as long as I keep moving, I'm OK. During a ceremony, I flex my knees, Stand on 1 foot while I stretch out the other, shift my weight from one to the other, anything to keep from being bored and to help the circulation to my legs and feet.
Yep, the most important piece of equipment for me, is a good pair of shoes. I buy 2 or 3 a year just for shooting.

Josh, I agree with your comment. When I get home I can't wait to get my shoes off, change into some real comfy slob clothes and chill.
Old October 13th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #10
Major Player

I keep myself fit, i love cycle racing, but I am still weary at the end of a wedding.
Its probably dehydration as I never drink enough water during the day and I often dont each much as i am too busy most of the day.
I do find weddings a great workout though. Im always on my feet for hours carrying lots of kit, and then often squatting or lying down filming low angle shots.
So yes, this morning as im typing this, my legs are weary.
But we had a great time filming yesterday and it makes it worth it when I look back at the great footage we got.

John.
Old October 13th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Chris, I guess I am a young 56, for sure. I love dancing, and hate to miss out on a night out, wedding or no. I love the night life, and I like new music. It's why I had trouble finding a girlfriend my age, many of them are tired and out of shape. I actually like the newest hottest club music, not the tired old crap most people my age listen to, so I am definitely not normal for my age.

I do push ups and crunches before a wedding, and deep knee bends probably help more than anything. I cannot overemphasize the importance of doing core and lower body work. If a shooter only did 10 deep knee bends a day they would be amazed at the improvement in their endurance.
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff

Wow! That's certainly doesn't place you in the same category as Don and I ...Technically you should be 25! .. Maybe a spunky girlfriend half your age is what you need who can keep up with you!

I got to bed at 1:40am today after starting the boys prep shoot at 11am the following day...for me that's a long day to be on your feet most of the time too!! I certainly couldn't go out clubbing tonight for sure! I need a little recovery time.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #13
Regular Crew

My feet are the only body part that usually kills me after day long shoots, besides that, nothing bothers me too much.
Iker Riera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #14
Trustee

I don't think I could make it through the day without good shoes - this is my choice

Birkenstock London Shoes black Leather Art.-No: Narrow 066194 Regular 066196

they are a German clog design that's been around for years - I wear the clogs everywhere but the closed in shoe is more suitable for weddings.
Old October 15th, 2012, 06:53 AM   #15
Major Player

To pinch a line from Johnny Kidd. At the end of a full day - "I'm (Sh)aching all over"
George Kilroy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques