Frustration with local businesses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 19th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Frustration with local businesses

A recent check on line with local wedding videographers reveals that lots of videographers are still using popular music on their web sites to advertise their wedding videos.
I sometimes feel that I may as well follow suit and just upload all my highlight films and if I get picked on, just turn round and say, "well everyone else is doing it ! "
I won't, and I will continue to sleep soundly knowing that I am keeping my integrity, but boy is it frustrating.
rant over ;-)

John
Old October 19th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Frustration with local businesses

John,
How are you delivering doc edits of the first dance with music playing in the background? There is no legal way to run a videography business. There are brands and music in our edits that we can't control.
Greg Fiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #3
Major Player

What timing. I just read this article: The Music Licensing Chickens Have Come Home to Roost in Wedding and Event Videography | Dare Dreamer Magazine
Patrick Janka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Major Player

With sites like TheMusicBed and SongFreedom why would you need anything else? The music is fresh, original and unique and relatively cheap for us videographers.

Don't forget in the UK you can use pop-music in your DVD's legally, too. You need a PPL license per-DVD, purchased from the IOV. But this doesn't cover you to use it anywhere other than the DVD, IE: Vimeo/Youtube highlights, etc. Also http://www.prsformusic.com/users/rec...cence(LM).aspx

IOV | Institute of Videography : Guidance Notes on Copyright Licences for Event Videographers
Quote:
This licence is issued on behalf of the Record Company and the Performers, and enables you to record their music in actuality (such as that being played by a DJ at a wedding reception) and to dub music on to the wedding video in post production. The licences are in the form of holographic stickers which must be applied to all copies of the video.

How much?
The cost of these licences varies according to the number of licences you purchase - but can cost from as little as £0.85 including VAT. Each copy of the production will require a separate PPL Licence.

5 x Licenses = £20.50 (£4.10 each)
20 x Licenses = £31 (£1.55 each)
50 x Licenses = £62 (£1.24 each)
100 x Licenses = £87 (0.87p each)

How to buy your PPL Licences
These can be purchased through the IOV online at IOV | Institute of Videography : PPL Licences
(This link includes the facility to download a postal application)

Contact
For further information, please contact the IOV - 020 8502 3817
Jordan Brindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Ive been using song freedom for some time now, for all of our online demo videos. The choice is very good, however I do actually pay for the songs. Thats why I was having a small rant.
When you see other companies clearly not bothering. What suprised me though was that some were hosted on vimeo as I thought they didnt allow copyright music.
Patrick, I remember that incident well. I think that was when most wedding video companies suddenly realised what could happen and started to use sites like songfreedom. We certainly did.
Old October 20th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Don't let that discourage you. I actually DONT want to use popular music even if I could get away with it. It's all in how you sell it. I tell people:

1) I have respect for artists because I'm an artist myself and I'm giving you back something unique, creative, and an art piece on its own.

2) I don't want you to have to deal with not being able to upload videos to the internet in the future. With SOPA/PIPA earlier this year its a real possibility and would suck if 10 years from now when all your family media and photos are on some cool website that your wedding videos aren't allowed on because of the music.

3) I want the videos to stand out on their own. With fresh new music people have new emotions tied to the video. This is rather then a popular song where you already have preconceived feelings about the song and what it means to you. So using popular music can be a big distraction from the wedding film with should be soley yours and not remind your uncle about losing his virginity to Lionel Richie and Diana Ross's 'Endless Love' .

Well I don't say the last line, but its good to have in your back pocket to hit it home.
Travis Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Inner Circle

On a kind of related topic - what about clients that rip a sequence (it has happened to me) from their wedding DVD and post it online? (You Tube in this instance) Despite me having a PPL licence I worry that I might be target for a law suit! I suspect it has happened more than once.

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Major Player

I don't see how using a Song Freedom clip, compared to a Robbie Williams clip makes a wedding video "an art piece on its own" - you've still just copied someone else's talented works... but you've been convinced to do it legally.

John - what do you do when the bride walks down the aisle to Robbie, surely you don't dub over other music?
John Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Trustee

Or unplug all your microphones during the reception where you will be recording dozens of songs? Technically recording a DJ playing music could violate copyright as well if we really wanted to be conservative about music copyright law.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 02:56 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
On a kind of related topic - what about clients that rip a sequence (it has happened to me) from their wedding DVD and post it online? (You Tube in this instance) Despite me having a PPL licence I worry that I might be target for a law suit! I suspect it has happened more than once.

Pete
Don't worry. A client copying your DVD is nothing to do with you. They are infringing copyright (the Right to Copy) not you. Just look at all those clips on YouTube from the BBC or Hollywood movies. It's the person who copies & uploads who is responsible not the programme creator.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
I don't see how using a Song Freedom clip, compared to a Robbie Williams clip makes a wedding video "an art piece on its own" - you've still just copied someone else's talented works... but you've been convinced to do it legally.

John - what do you do when the bride walks down the aisle to Robbie, surely you don't dub over other music?
I don't think he's saying that it makes the video more artistic. I believe he's saying that he is respecting the fellow artist by purchasing a license to their music and not violating their copyright.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
I too would like to know what happens when you have copyrighted music playing in the church or at the reception, first dance etc. How do you get around that? This thread has gone a bit quiet since that question was asked.
It's something that is unavoidable so what to do....
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 05:41 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Estcourt View Post
A recent check on line with local wedding videographers reveals that lots of videographers are still using popular music on their web sites to advertise their wedding videos
I just went to Vimeo, searched for the keyword "wedding" and sort on newest first, and after having a quick look at 6 videos I found 1 that had "John Lennon - Love" as sound track, one with "Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now " and one with "Lmfao, everyday I'm shufflin"

So 3 out of 6 random videos with music I"m pretty sure about that is not licensed and where VIMEO doesn't seem to care...

The small fish get away with it and the big ones (Like Joe Simon some time ago) might get caught in the net and used to set as example, it's just a matter of not getting noticed too much. Only when a music rights organisation gets involved you are in trouble, the question is, would you take the risk of bancrupcy if you get caught?

But I can agree it is frustrating to see how many just get away with it, especially if they are competitors in your same area that can use this kind of popular music to their advantage.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Hey Chris

I doubt whether you could film a reception without recording the DJ's music ..it's just a basic fact!!

All I put up on the web (for the bride's overseas friends) is a shortened version of the vows ...that way the audio is mine and no music is involved. Just explain to the bride (if she wants something with music on it) that you will replace the recorded music with royalty free stuff.

It only seems to be online clips that are of concern..even if you were blantantly using commercial music on the bride's DVD ..only she and her friends will view it anyway but it's still safer to get a licence for the DVD set anyway. Ours are preety reasonable ..around $400 -$500 a year for unlimited weddings and up to 20 disks per wedding. However web videos are not covered and are considered 'broadcast'

You can manipulate your online sample clips for prospective brides by replacing with royalty free but I can see the problem for the guys doing cinematic hilite clips online where the music is important to the vision. I shoot doc style so I'm not affected.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hewitt View Post
I too would like to know what happens when you have copyrighted music playing in the church or at the reception, first dance etc. How do you get around that? This thread has gone a bit quiet since that question was asked.
It's something that is unavoidable so what to do....
Not a problem for you Chris as like us you are in the UK & can license music for DVD/Blu-ray at very reasonable rates.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques