Corporate Events - Preferred Medium. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 31st, 2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Corporate Events - Preferred Medium.

Hi all.

What is the general consensus here?

I film live music and music videos but have recently been looking into the corporate events market. I asume they arent too fond of digital video files for internal stuff. Or may be they are.

I guess what it boils down to is, should I be investing in a bluray burner?

Im guessing not, but DVD is relatively pointless and digital only might cause problems for smaller companies.
Shaun Forsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Corporate Events - Preferred Medium.

Hi Shaun

It all depends on your client. I have yet to get a request for BD from corporate clients..it's usually an embeddable video so they can put in on their website and the same footage on DVD to show clients. I haven't seen any board rooms that have a BD player! I would of course ask how they will be showing the video to clients (if they are) More often than not it's not even a "sit down" showing but just the same video on the salesman/director's laptop so a progressive file is preferred if they will be doing that..Sadly they go for convenience of a laptop/notebook so all your carefully tweaked audio comes thru two tiny 1" speakers!!

All clients will be different but I must admit I haven't added a BD burner to my setup either as yet!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Inner Circle

For me, I rarely make any form of finished product for my clients. They hire me to shoot it and turn it over to them. Tapes or cards their choice.
When I DO edit a product for them it's a DVD. Never had a request for BD.
Old October 31st, 2012, 09:31 PM   #4
Major Player

Tablets are creeping more into corporate slowly replacing laptops for some. But, you have to offer it "backward compatible" so that means DVD. Because the tablets are starting to show up, I also would offer as a digital file on a thumb drive/SD card or even digital download from a Box.net or some other file site. No one is going to beech if you give them a DVD to watch on the HD flat panel. But, you give a Bluray to someone who doesn't know it won't work in his laptop, and just wait for the screaming to begin. :-)
Chip Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Thome View Post
But, you give a Bluray to someone who doesn't know it won't work in his laptop, and just wait for the screaming to begin. :-)
haha.

thanks everyone.
Shaun Forsdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:36 AM   #6
Trustee

90% of my corporate videos are for direct upload to their website or intranet for internal distribution. I have had a couple of clients who want DVD's to send to their field representatives who don't have hi-speed internet connections available all the time. Those are actually very profitable since reproducing DVD's is very quick and easy and a high rate of return. I've never had a request for a Bluray from a corporate job.
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Major Player

Same here as for Garrett. At least 90% want file based, usually an H264 MP4, for internet or their company intranet.
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Trustee

Been shooting corporate exclusively for six years. Only once have I had a request for Blu-ray. Delivery requests seem to be about 50% digital files and 50% DVD. DVD may not be the best quality (I'd say most of my clients don't even know you can't play HD video on DVD) but DVD players are ubiquitous in the business world. Every meeting room has a DVD player.

For the past few years, I've been making "hybrid" DVDs that will play standard-def in a DVD player, but will play HD video through Windows Media Player when inserted in a Windows computer.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
For the past few years, I've been making "hybrid" DVDs that will play standard-def in a DVD player, but will play HD video through Windows Media Player when inserted in a Windows computer.
Can I ask how do you do that and what software is being used to achieve that? Do you use a regular dvd to play the HD content on the pc?

I have been doing quite some business events the past years and here also always a dvd or a mp4 file they can upload to youtube or embed in their website and I don't expect that to change soon.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Trustee

No special software required. I author a normal DVD, then add the HD version in WMV format as a data file (most DVD authoring software allows you to do that.) I create an autorun.inf file that instructs the computer to play the WMV file when the disk is insterted.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques