About to buy a GoPro HD Hero 2 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 13th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: About to buy a GoPro HD Hero 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
I have firstly never seen a GoPro at a wedding carried by a guest.
I was referring to P&S cameras :)
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Well it arrived this morning - very impressed, awesome footage and can't wait to use it asap - they've launched the Android app as well today but...

...not impressed I have to spend another £8 on a tripod mount and (unless I'm missing something) £25 on a yet to be released frame so I can mount it without the waterproof housing!

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #33
Inner Circle

Hi Pete

I use a different system..I have a ball head that screws onto a lighting stand and on the top plate I just stick one of the adhesive shoes to that so the camera housing can just click in and the ball head allows adjustment AND a decent height. Where the Church/Venue has no balcony I put the stand beside my aisle camera and hoist it up 8' into the air!! It's free from any photogs blocking my main camera and gives a nice 3rd camera angle as a semi-aerial shot....!! I'm using the optional skeleton housing at weddings so the camera doesn't mist up (it has much more ventilation) and also allows a mic to plug in too (mainly just to sync footage...Never used a tripod yet as my application is to use it as a 'top" camera!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:10 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Well Chris my tripod adapter is on it's way - I've a small wedding this weekend where I'll debut it, but in a few weeks I've a Cathedral wedding on - hopefully I'll get some great results from it - it's sort of what I got it for.

BTW the wedding this weekend, the groom is a grip for a large TV company - I'll be under scrutiny from him and some of his workmates no doubt!

Pete
Peter Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
Hi Pete

I use a different system..I have a ball head that screws onto a lighting stand and on the top plate I just stick one of the adhesive shoes to that so the camera housing can just click in and the ball head allows adjustment AND a decent height. Where the Church/Venue has no balcony I put the stand beside my aisle camera and hoist it up 8' into the air!! It's free from any photogs blocking my main camera and gives a nice 3rd camera angle as a semi-aerial shot....!! I'm using the optional skeleton housing at weddings so the camera doesn't mist up (it has much more ventilation) and also allows a mic to plug in too (mainly just to sync footage...Never used a tripod yet as my application is to use it as a 'top" camera!!

Chris
Hi Chris
Can you post some pictures?

stelios
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #36
Major Player

I prefer to have a tripod adapter permanantly attached to the case so that I can readily mount the Gopro on a wide variety of accessories rather than just on a lightstand. Two of my lightstands have ballheads on the tops but I also use friction arms with nanoclamps to attach to furniture and fixtures in the room etc as there are times when a lightstand is just not possible or is not the best way of placing what you want to be a non-obtrusive cam. Sometimes I use those mini table top tripods as well. Its surprising how often there is a high ledge on a pillar in a church on which you can perch the Gopro.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #37
Trustee

Peter, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the results from the GoPro since I'm currently investigating them myself. There's been a few times I've thought about them but the low light capability has always made me cautious. So, don't forget to report back after the weekend :)
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #38
Inner Circle

I'm about to complete an edit of a wedding today so I'll pop a Church balcony shot here for you so you can see Stelios ....for smaller weddings I tend to keep the stand just around 8' in the air so I get a semi-aerial view of the entire front end of the ceremony.

Nigel Barker also uses a Gorilla for his GoPros...you can wrap the flexible legs even around poles and pillars and it works well...I must get one of those too!!

Chris
Old November 14th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Hi Stelios

This is a really high up shot from the rear balcony of a Church done last Sunday with the GoPro...I use the FOV on medium not wide ....shots using the 8' stand are the less drastic ones..I turn the camera around for guest shots and then forward for bridal party shots.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
About to buy a GoPro HD Hero 2-image3.jpg   About to buy a GoPro HD Hero 2-image1.jpg  

About to buy a GoPro HD Hero 2-image2.jpg  
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #40
Trustee

Thanks Chris for the images. The look great! but actually I was asking for an image(close up) of how you mounted the GoPro on the 8' stand.

stelios
Old November 15th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Hi Stelios

Here we go. It's a normall lighting stand that has a 3/8" thread in the top and I screwed on an iShoot ball head. I have simply mounted an adhesive mount snap connector onto the top of the ball head's quick release plate and my camera just clicks into place and you can quickly adjust the angle.

Previously I used the handlebar mount kit but it's slow to adjust compared to this mount.

Hope this helps??

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
About to buy a GoPro HD Hero 2-gopromount.jpg  
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #42
Trustee

Thanks Chris, thanks a lot. I am looking into buying one of these the Hero 2 or 3.

stelios
Old November 15th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #43
Trustee

Chris...why don't you just use the tripod mount and the ball head?
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #44
Inner Circle

Hi Renton

Makes sense doesn't it BUT I would have had to order one and I had the adhesive clip that already came with the camera so it was easier to just put the pad to use rather than order a tripod mount on eBay. If the adhesive pad becomes "unsticky" I'll do just that and buy a tripod mount. However it's been there for 6 months so far!!

Chris
Old November 17th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rush View Post
Well it arrived this morning - very impressed, awesome footage and can't wait to use it asap - they've launched the Android app as well today but...
I am waiting for the Black Edition to start shipping before I order. I already have a Hero 2 & as far as I understand it the currently available White & Silver Editions have the same image quality (they are better in other ways - smaller, lighter, built-in WiFi etc). The Black Edition is not that much more expensive & has 1080p60 / 720p120 / 4Kp15 / 2.7Kp30 in addition to the regular video modes. It is also supposed to be better in low light.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques