DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Got a Canon dSLR and an Android Phone / Tablet? Then you have a free monitor. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/512083-got-canon-dslr-android-phone-tablet-then-you-have-free-monitor.html)

Peter Riding November 13th, 2012 05:02 PM

Got a Canon dSLR and an Android Phone / Tablet? Then you have a free monitor.

I've been road testing an app called dSLR Controller which enables you to control your dSLR from your Android phone.

And it works! I'm surprised it has not received more coverage online.

You connect the two with a USB cable - its not wifi but hey you have to cable a monitor anyway. That said if you have two Android devices you can cable one to the camera then wifi the other to the first (I have not tested that feature).

Works great for viewing your video in real time whilst you shoot it. Huge feature set including focusing, changing white balance, ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc etc. Focusing can be performed on the touchscreen whilst filming but other changes like aperture shutterspeed and white balance cannot. I don't think it can zoom the lens but so what.

The one downside is how to secure the phone to your rig. Phones are slippery by design so your options are limited. I am using a Galaxy S3 with a gel case that has a kicker stand that can spring out of the back. I attach a nanoclamp to this then a friction arm to the clamp and the arm to the rig. Nanoclamps and friction arms are cheap as chips on Ebay.

You'll find the app in the Google Playstore.

You need a special USB cable such as this one for the G3:

This cable also allows you to connect all sorts of USB devices to the phone including flash drives card readers and keyboards.

Pete

Erick Munari November 14th, 2012 12:48 PM

Re: Got a Canon dSLR and an Android Phone / Tablet? Then you have a free monitor.

hello Peter, I've seen this app before but never got around to use it. In the developer video, he said that you can Liveview at 15 fps, which can be a bit choppy for focus on the fly, is that the case or even an issue for you? And speaking of focus, does it have focus assist.(such as peaking or zebras)? Thank you for posting and reminding me of this app.
All the best.

Peter Riding November 14th, 2012 01:49 PM

Re: Got a Canon dSLR and an Android Phone / Tablet? Then you have a free monitor.

Erick, I am new to it but I did not notice any choppiness when focusing in liveview. I think the alternative rates were 24 and 30. Bear in mind I'm using a high-end phone -the S3 - so any choppines by virtue of the processor or memory as distinct from the frame rate may be worse in some other androids. And of course the S3 screen is not as large as a dedicated monitor; though I've got to say it is lovely and clean and crisp and of course can do full screen with no icons getting in the way. I'm pretty sure peaking and zebras are selectable but I don't have it set up right now; you can choose your colours for peaking.

You do get the 5x and the 10x magnification facility in liveviewvto help focusing.

The app is only about £5 so all you are risking is your time really.

On a slight digression I have apps to control the Gopro Hero from both my Ipad and my android phone. Both do the job but the Ipad is rather too big and slippery to use in battle conditions whereas the phone is very easy and convenient. This app is like having a monitor for when you need it but is easily slipped into a pocket when you don't. Can't do that with an Ipad or a lilliput.

Pete

Erick Munari November 14th, 2012 07:01 PM

Hi Peter, I just got a brand new Nexus 7" and it would be lovely to have it as a ext. monitor if it works, I shall let you know. I also have a android phone but it it is an HTC which reportedly does not work with the app, bummer.

John H. Lee November 18th, 2012 10:10 AM

I just got this app and waiting for OTG USB cable to connect. I'll post my review after I test it on my galaxy note II. I"m very excited to hear that it actually works!