DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Request for input on book (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/512169-request-input-book.html)

Chip Thome November 18th, 2012 01:47 PM

Request for input on book

Greetings all,

I bit ago it was suggested to me that I compose a book explaining basic business principles for people wishing to enter the wedding video business. The basic principles are the same for wedding videographers, or wedding still shooters. So this has since expanded out to include all those wishing to use their cameras to create some income, regardless of the business' focus. The book will not delve into use of the camera or choices of products one chooses to create. It's just about setting up and getting a business off the ground.

I have never attempted anything like this so I had no idea if this was going to end up being two pages of an internet posting or something that resembled War and Peace. I am writing from "seat of the pants" experience which I am learning takes a lot of words to state and explain stuff I have come to just "instinctively know". I am out now at 31 pages,12K in words and am finding "oh crap" moments when I realize I have forgotten to explain preceding segments that now become required to complete the processes. This is requiring me to go back now and rebuild a few sections to include what I assumed the reader might "instinctively know".

My request to all here, especially to the newbs is, what do you think are areas that should be covered? I am asking because I'll bet I have forgotten or not considered more than I have already discovered.

Thanks in advance !!!

Adrian Tan November 18th, 2012 03:14 PM

Re: Request for input on book

Hi Chip, you prompted me to do a search on Amazon. There seem to be a few other books on wedding videography, with reviewer comments saying they're outdated. Another common criticism is that they're too broad. Some come with DVDs supplied for example footage.

So, as a general thought, might be worth checking out competition and doing something updated for 2013.

I'd buy it!

Chip Thome November 18th, 2012 03:58 PM

Re: Request for input on book

Excellent suggestion Adrian and I did follow your advice. Just about everything I saw dealt deeper into the actual production, somewhere I'm not going to go. I'm writing for basic business principles like "what all is included in my costs to be in business?". "want vs need when it comes to gear purchases". So far the whole book is centered around the formula of All Costs + Some Profit = Selling Price and how all kinds of decisions have impact on that formula.

But I have you dialed in to be one of the first in line when its done !!! :-)